RN - Oncology (Various Shifts) (3392)
Oncology | Houston, TX | Contract
RN - Oncology (Various Shifts)
Work Location: Houston, TX
InGenesis seeks a compassionate Registered Nurse knowledgeable in Hematology-Oncology to provide both curative and palliative treatments for all types of cancer and blood disorders. In this role, the RN is responsible for quickly assessing and providing the appropriate interventions. Our client, a Top Tier Cancer Hospital in Texas has a mission to eliminate cancer across the nation and the world through outstanding programs that integrate patient care, research and prevention. If you meet the qualifications, please apply.
Job Duties/Responsibilities/Functions(including but not limited to)
• Administers chemotherapy and blood products. Demonstrates knowledge of central line, port, and IV management. Provides nursing care to the patient undergoing complex procedures such as bone marrow biopsies or intrathecal chemotherapy.
• Provides patient education, procedural instructions, general health information, and reinforces physician instructions in person and through telephone contact.
• Provides patient counseling based on specialized and/or advanced knowledge gained through education and experience.
• Prepares patient for the physician exam. Chaperones physician visit. Prepares and administers medications as prescribed by physician. Takes, records, and reports patient vital signs using medical equipment; inspects equipment and facilities visually and physically to ensure patient safety and proper functioning of equipment. Obtains any specimens ordered by the physician for collection.
• Obtains medical history from patients through structured interviews in accordance with departmental guidelines Delivers nursing interventions to assigned patients that are consistent with stated medical plan of care while observing and recording signs, symptoms, and behavior of patients in medical records.
• Triages patient phone inquiries according to physician and/or departmental protocols and documents such inquiries and results in patients' medical records. Participates in evaluating nursing needs of patients; assesses problems affecting patients; recommends policy and/or procedural changes according to nursing expertise; schedules patients' appointments, tests, and procedures via on-line computer system or telephone. Facilitates patient-physician communication and assists the patient through the treatment process.
• Associate's degree (BSN preferred)
• Licensure as Registered Nurse by Board of Nurse Examiners for State of Texas
• Two (2) years acute medical nursing experience. Must have relevant experience in one or more of the following: hematology/oncology, Hodgkin’s / Non-Hodgkin’s disease, leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma or sickle cell.
• Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification, course accredited by the American Heart Association (AHA) required.
• Certification in one of the clinical areas offered by the Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation (ONCC) required within 24 months of employment, (OCN, CPHON, CBCN, or BMTCN). Application for certification is required upon meeting eligibility criteria.
InGenesis is dedicated to placing people in positions that preserve life, improve lives and inspire others. This does not happen without passionate people, skilled colleagues who are motivated to create innovative solutions and deliver superior service to our clients. Founded in 1998, InGenesis manages thousands of employees, including pioneering healthcare, science, technology and pharma professionals. The workforce solutions company includes almost half of the Fortune 500 in its nearly 300 clients. It is recognized as one of the largest healthcare staffing firms, and InGenesis is the largest minority/women owned healthcare staffing firm in North America.
We support a diverse workforce and is an Equal Opportunity Employer who does not discriminate against employees and applicants for employment on the basis of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other classification protected by law.