Windows System Engineer
Infrastructure | San Antonio, TX | Full Time
About Us: Innovating to solve real-world problems
At Applied Insight, we leave no stone unturned in solving our customers’ technology challenges. Supporting the Federal Government with the strongest mission focus, our solutions empower people to collaborate more effectively in delivering services vital to the nation.
On joining the Applied Insight team, you’ll be working to solve real-world problems on missions that matter with people who share your passions and encourage your ambition. It’s vital to us that we hire committed people who are great at what they do. We return that commitment by empowering them with the autonomy, the support and the tools they need to fulfill their true potential.
Your Mission: Maintenance Support Services for Cyberspace Defense Analysis Weapon System
A day in the life (just a few of the things you may do on any given day):
• Functions as a Linux/Red Hat SME for all network updates, enhancements, change requests, and all system/network engineering activities
• Provide technical knowledge and analysis of specialized applications and functional network systems, design, integration, documentation, training, and implementation advice on complex virtualization and networking problems that require the highest level of expertise
• Provide high-level subject matter proficiency for network & systems engineering activities, including troubleshooting and solution development
• Monitor and control the performance of system resources across multiple networks. Uses knowledge of LAN/WAN systems and administration procedures to assist with design, installation, and maintenance of internal and external network management systems
• Responsible for testing and analysis of all elements of the network platforms and components; monitors and controls the performance and status of network resources and initiates troubleshooting and service restoration processes. Tests and evaluate network systems to eliminate problems and make improvements
• Implement information systems assurance programs, patching/updates, and security control guidelines; provides documentation and or remediation solutions in support of IA functions. Conduct regular, periodic security compliance scanning, patching, and hardening of network systems and end user workstations
• Prepare status and progress reports related to system operations and maintenance. Initiate and tracks troubleshooting records and related operational availability metrics
• Develop and maintain documentation related to network system health, security status, and operational availability. Obtain metrics/data and create/maintain procedural checklists in accordance with all relative policies and regulations
• Responsible for all system administration tasks in support of mission requirements
You will excel in this role if you are:
- Enjoy working within a DoD organization to implement and enforce all AF cybersecurity policies, procedures, and countermeasures.
- Excel in a dynamic, multi-network environment requiring expertise in multiple systems
- Focused on customer needs and troubleshooting to solve complex networking challenges
What we are expecting from you (i.e. the qualifications you must have):
- Possess and maintain required cybersecurity certification IAW AFMAN 17-1303 (Security+)
- Active TS/SCI (Secret Clearance and TS/SCI Eligible at a minimum)
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology or related field. An additional five (5) years of IT experience can substitute for a Bachelor’s Degree
- Possess at least three (3) years of experience working in government-owned computer network defense, system administration, and information assurance roles
- Possess at least three (3) years of experience implementing and documenting cyber security solutions on DoD systems and networks
- Familiarity with the following technologies: C, Java, JSP, Python, Ruby on Rails, Perl and other scripting languages; SQL Server; Oracle DB, PostgreSQL; EMC storage; Windows OS; RedHat/Linux OS; Dell, Sun, Cisco, and HP hardware platforms; ESXi and VMware; and the family of Fidelis XPS COTS products (Network, Internal/Direct, Connect, Proxy, Mail, Edge, and Scout).
- Hands-on experience with desktop troubleshooting and the ability to think analytically and logically.
- Hands-on experience with network troubleshooting
- Experience with Windows and/or Linux operating systems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a keen sense of customer service
What we are desiring from you (i.e. the nice-to-have qualifications):
- Networking certifications (CCNA/CCDA) and Linux certifications (Linux+, LPIC)
- VMWare and VCenter/VSphere integration and management experience
- Cloud integration experience (AWS, Azure, etc.)
- Windows and/or Linux systems administration experience; experience using with Active Directory and privileged access control in a Windows environment.
- Physical deployment of machines, networking, and development environment components
- Cisco devices routing and switching
- Cisco UCS administration
- Addressing “Tier 1/2/3" service desk tickets, and communicate with the users daily
- Account creation/modifications and assisting with onboarding users
- Experience with cloud security solutions
- Experience managing and improving DoD network systems
- Project management experience
What we will provide in return: Excellent compensation and amazing benefits
- Multiple health insurance options from CareFirst BCBS which include a PPO plan with ZERO deductibles and an HSA plan.
- 401k Immediate Vesting. Company matches 100% of the first 3% contributed and 50% of the next 2% contributed.
- Fully paid long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance.
- Flexible Spending Account options.
- Generous paid time off that includes one bucket of leave to use how the employee sees fit; no separate holiday, sick, or vacation.
- Flexible work schedules with the ability to bank extra hours for additional time off.
- Semi-Annual bonuses for hours worked "over standard".
- Government shutdown protection where employees don't have to use leave for up to 3 days out of the year for inclement weather or budget issues.
- Employee centric culture and a belief that we should empower those who are good at what they do and then give them the tools they need to achieve success and grow their career.
- A commitment to learning and growth and easy ways to achieve both including a training budget, education assistance, mentorship programs and collaborative learning sessions.
- A collaborative environment that fosters communication and an open door policy.
www.applied-insight.com. EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled.