Research & Development | Laurel, MD | Full Time
About Us: Innovating to solve real-world problems
Applied Insight enhances the ability of federal government customers to preserve national security, deliver justice and serve the public with advanced technologies and quality analysis. We work closely with agencies and industry to overcome technical and cultural hurdles to innovation, empowering them with the latest end-to-end cloud infrastructure, big data and cyber capabilities. Our expertise in cross-domain and boundary solutions, network analytics, DevOps and low-to-high development is unique in our industry. We develop and deliver innovative products and applications that are deployed in highly sensitive customer environments and have broad applications for federal missions.
On joining the Applied Insight team, you’ll be working to solve real-world problems on missions that matter with people who share your passions and encourage your ambition. It’s vital to us that we hire committed people who are great at what they do. We return that commitment by empowering them with the autonomy, the support and the tools they need to fulfill their true potential.
A day in the life (just a few of the things you may do on any given day):
- Write software to efficiently manipulate data in a way that's useful for machine learning and other forms of analysis
- Create and maintain container orchestration and virtualization environments for prototype development and testing
- Set up and troubleshoot hardware to power development environments while ensuring compliance with local security rules
- Support an analytics pipeline by improving and/or troubleshooting aspects of its engineering design
- Design and/or implement software solutions for existing engineering challenges
- Contribute to new and better techniques to support customer goals
You will excel in this role if you are:
- Curious: You want to learn how things work and are willing to put in the time and effort to make meaningful progress.
- Agile: You appreciate the opportunity to work across multiple technologies such as scripting, development/test/QA tools, cloud, container, and orchestration tools, Linux and Windows operating systems, networking, security and automation. You don't say things like "I don't work on X" or "that's not my job"
- Professional: You conduct yourself in a manner that represents yourself and the company well
- Organized: You document what you do, have a systematic approach, and share documentation, and don't look clueless if someone asks you how you configured something 6 months ago
What we are expecting from you (i.e. the qualifications you must have):
- Active TS/SCI with Polygraph security clearance
- 6-12 years of DevOps/systems/software engineering experience (Python, Scripting, System Administration, Virtualization, networking, storage and compute platforms, etc.)
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems or similar technical discipline. 4 years of experience can substitute for a B.S. degree
What we are desiring from you (i.e. the nice-to-have qualifications):
- Experience with systems/tools such as Kubernetes, Helm, Elasticsearch and Docker
- Experience with programming languages beyond Python such as C, C++, Java, and/or Go
- Experience with working on Linux systems and debugging networking/security issues (i.e. knowing where to find logs, handling common errors, Googling things before asking for help)
- Familiarity with distributed computing environments and related frameworks such as Hadoop
What we will provide in return: Excellent compensation and amazing benefits
- Multiple health insurance options which include a PPO plan with ZERO deductibles and an HSA plan.
- 401k Immediate Vesting. Company matches 100% of the first 3% contributed and 50% of the next 2% contributed.
- Fully paid long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance.
- Flexible Spending Account options.
- Generous paid time off.
- Flexible work schedules with the ability to bank extra hours for additional time off.
- Government shutdown protection where employees don't have to use leave for up to 3 days out of the year for inclement weather or budget issues.
- Employee centric culture and a belief that we should empower those who are good at what they do and then give them the tools they need to achieve success and grow their career.
- A commitment to learning and growth and easy ways to achieve both including a training budget, education assistance, mentorship programs and collaborative learning sessions.
- A collaborative environment that fosters communication and an open-door policy.
Applied Insight provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, disability or handicap, sex, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.