Cloud System Administrator Level 2
Systems Administrators | Laurel, MD | Full Time
About Us: Innovating to solve real-world problems
Applied Insight enhances the ability of federal government customers to preserve national security, deliver justice and serve the public with advanced technologies and quality analysis. We work closely with agencies and industry to overcome technical and cultural hurdles to innovation, empowering them with the latest end-to-end cloud infrastructure, big data and cyber capabilities. Our expertise in cross-domain and boundary solutions, network analytics, DevOps and low-to-high development is unique in our industry. We develop and deliver innovative products and applications that are deployed in highly sensitive customer environments and have broad applications for federal missions.
On joining the Applied Insight team, you’ll be working to solve real-world problems on missions that matter with people who share your passions and encourage your ambition. It’s vital to us that we hire committed people who are great at what they do. We return that commitment by empowering them with the autonomy, the support and the tools they need to fulfill their true potential.
A day in the life (just a few of the things you may do on any given day):
As the Cloud System Administrator, you will be a part of an Infrastructure team working both together and independently on tasks needed to support customer requirements and development team needs. We work across multiple hosting platforms (OpenStack, AWS, and VMWare), but only support Linux VMs. This position allows you to learn a lot about the product as well as dive deep into areas of VM Management/DevOps that appeal to you.
Applicants who do well would have a strong background in Linux and who can bring previous relevant Sys Admin experience to the project while also maintaining a learning mode approach.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Typical Sys Admin tasks – Server Certificate life cycle, monitoring VM health status, updating software on VMs (manually and through YUM repos), making sure VMs satisfy latest security requirements set by the Enterprise.
- Monitoring and managing production Linux VMs - stand-alone VMs and those integrated in a Kubernetes cluster – across multiple hosting platforms.
- Work with customers and development team to support product needs. Including trivial changes (i.e., VM name changes) to significant efforts (i.e., new cluster builds).
- Some Dev Ops tasks including running and maintaining Ansible playbooks to push out changes to VMs and monitoring the Kubernetes clusters through Rancher or kubectl commands to ensure the clusters nodes and pods are healthy and running smooth.
What we are expecting from you (i.e. the qualifications you must have):
- Active TS/SCI with Polygraph Clearance
- Active Security + Certification for all members of the infrastructure team
- Strong Linux skills, Centos 7 and/or RHEL 8 experience
- Ansible experience or exposure
- Experience administering VMs in either OpenStack, VMWare, or AWS
- Experience managing and securing VMs (STE/STN) and SSP Compliance
- Comfortable performing YUM updates, VM reboots, applying appropriate STE/STN changes/packages, creating server certificates, and other common Sys Admin tasks.
- Troubleshooting experience (VM & application logs & tracking down sources/causes of VM or application issues
- Moderate experience troubleshooting Linux VMs - VM is SSH inaccessible, why is the VM running slow, reading log files, etc.
- Experience with Kubernetes/Docker/Rancher
- Five (5) years of experience managing and monitoring large Hadoop clusters (>200 nodes).
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university is required.
- Four (4) years of additional experience on projects with similar requirements may be substituted for a bachelor’s degree.
What we will provide in return: Excellent compensation and amazing benefits
- Multiple health insurance options which include a PPO plan with ZERO deductibles and an HSA plan.
- 401k Immediate Vesting. Company matches 100% of the first 3% contributed and 50% of the next 2% contributed.
- Fully paid long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance.
- Flexible Spending Account options.
- Generous paid time off.
- Flexible work schedules with the ability to bank extra hours for additional time off.
- Government shutdown protection where employees don't have to use leave for up to 3 days out of the year for inclement weather or budget issues.
- Employee centric culture and a belief that we should empower those who are good at what they do and then give them the tools they need to achieve success and grow their career.
- A commitment to learning and growth and easy ways to achieve both including a training budget, education assistance, mentorship programs and collaborative learning sessions.
- A collaborative environment that fosters communication and an open-door policy.
Applied Insight provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, disability or handicap, sex, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.