Cyber Defense Analyst Level 2
Security | Ft. Meade, MD | Full Time
About Us: Innovating to solve real-world problems
At Applied Insight, we leave no stone unturned in solving our customers’ technology challenges. Supporting the Federal Government with the strongest mission focus, our solutions empower people to collaborate more effectively in delivering services vital to the nation.
On joining the Applied Insight team, you’ll be working to solve real-world problems on missions that matter with people who share your passions and encourage your ambition. It’s vital to us that we hire committed people who are great at what they do. We return that commitment by empowering them with the autonomy, the support and the tools they need to fulfill their true potential.
A day in the life (just a few of the things you may do on any given day):
As the Cyber Defense Analyst, you will use information collected from a variety of sources to monitor network activity and analyze it for evidence of anomalous behavior. Identifies, triages, and reports events that occur in order to protect data, information systems, and infrastructure. Finds trends, patterns, or anomaly correlations utilizing security-relevant data. Recommends proactive security measures. Conducts analysis to isolate indicators of compromise. Notify designated managers, cyber incident responders, and cybersecurity service provider team member of suspected cyber incidents and articulate the event’s history, status, and potential impact for further action in accordance with the organization’s cyber incident response plan..
The Level 2 Cyber Defense Analyst shall possess the following capabilities:
- Use cyber defense tools to monitor, detect, analyze, categorize, and perform initial triage of anomalous activity.
- Generate cybersecurity cases (including event’s history, status, and potential impact for further action) and route as appropriate.
- Leverage knowledge of commonly used network protocols and detection methods to defend against related abuses.
- Apply cybersecurity and privacy principles to organizational requirements (relevant to confidentiality, integrity, availability, authentication, non-repudiation).
- Perform advanced manual analysis to hunt previously unidentified threats.
- Conduct PCAP analysis.
- Identify cyber-attack phases based on knowledge of common attack vectors and network layers, models and protocols.
- Apply techniques for detecting host- and network-based intrusions.
- Working knowledge of enterprise-level network intrusion detection/prevention systems and firewall capabilities.
- Understand the foundations of a hardened windows network and what native services and protocols are subject to abuse (such as RDP, Kerberos, NTLM, WMI, and SMB).
- Familiarity with fragmentation of network traffic and how to detect and evaluate fragmentation related attacks in raw packet captures.
- Conduct network – traffic, protocol and packet-level – and netflow analysis for anomalous values that may be security-relevant using appropriate tools (such as Wireshark, tshark, tcpdump).
- Understand snort filters and how they are crafted and tuned to feed IDS alerting.
- Understand system and application security threats and vulnerabilities to include buffer overflow, SQL injection, race conditions, covert channel, replay and return-oriented attacks, malicious code and malicious scripting.
- Analyze malicious activity to determine weaknesses exploited, exploitation methods, effects on system and information.
- Perform event correlation using information gathered from a variety of sources within the enterprise to gain situational awareness and determine the effectiveness of an observed attack.
- Familiar with indications of Command and Control (C2) channels and what strategies attackers use to bypass enterprise defenses from a compromised host.
What we are expecting from you (i.e. the qualifications you must have):
- Active TS/SCI w/ Polygraph Clearance
- Four (4) years of demonstrated experience as CDA in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity required.
- A technical bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university may be substituted for two (2) years of CDA experience on projects of similar scope, type, and complexity.
- One (1) year of demonstrated and practical experience in TCP/IP fundamentals.
- One (1) year of demonstrated experience with tcpdump or Wireshark.
- Two (2) years of demonstrated experience using security information and event management suites (such as Splunk, ArcSight, Kibana, LogRhythm).
- Two (2) years of demonstrated experience in network analysis and threat analysis software utilization.
- Requires DoD 8570 compliance with CSSP Analyst baseline certification, Information Assurance Technical (IAT) Level I or Level II certification, and Computing Environment (CE) certification
Additional contract or position specific required experience for this level (skills, technologies, expertise):
CDA Level 2 (Wireless)positions: (Wireless certification similar to Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA) to Assessing and Auditing Wireless Networks (GAWN), Certified Wireless security Professional (CWSP), Offensive Security Wireless Fidelity (OSWP), Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA-Wireless), Or Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP-Wireless).
CDA Level 2 (SCADA) Positions: ICS/SCADA certification similar to Global Industrial Cyber Security Professional (GICSP) certification OR Global Response and Industrial Defense (GRID) certification.
What we will provide in return: Excellent compensation and amazing benefits
- Multiple health insurance options from CareFirst BCBS which include a PPO plan with ZERO deductibles and an HSA plan.
- 401k Immediate Vesting. Company matches 100% of the first 3% contributed and 50% of the next 2% contributed.
- Fully paid long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance.
- Flexible Spending Account options.
- Generous paid time off that includes one bucket of leave to use how the employee sees fit; no separate holiday, sick, or vacation.
- Flexible work schedules with the ability to bank extra hours for additional time off.
- Semi-Annual bonuses for hours worked "over standard".
- Government shutdown protection where employees don't have to use leave for up to 3 days out of the year for inclement weather or budget issues.
- Employee centric culture and a belief that we should empower those who are good at what they do and then give them the tools they need to achieve success and grow their career.
- A commitment to learning and growth and easy ways to achieve both including a training budget, education assistance, mentorship programs and collaborative learning sessions.
- A collaborative environment that fosters communication and an open door policy.
www.applied-insight.com. EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled.