Cloud Engineer Expert
Cloud | Chantilly, VA | Full Time
Your Mission: Bring modern-day application development capabilities using latest-greatest AWS services
Enhance your current Cloud and DevOps skillsets to learn to disrupt traditional workflows and processes using AWS technologies. You will be an integral part of a team of knowledgeable technologists responsible for helping to build a nationwide cloud presence for both software development and cloud hosting. This is a multi-faceted position requiring you to spend time working directly with AWS services, and the underlying operating systems themselves, to efficiently improve security automation, aid collaboration efforts with software engineers, and streamline infrastructure processes.
A day in the life (just a few of the things you may do on any given day):
- Design and build AWS Well-Architected Framework compliant designs that help meet customer needs and operating constraints
- Participate in data strategy and road mapping exercises, product selection and design
- Identify the top cloud architecture solutions to successfully meet the strategic needs
- Interact with various operating systems, applications, environments to create IT automation and orchestration activities
- Establishing the Cost Capture and Cost Monitoring Design
- Use open-source technologies and tools to accomplish specific use cases encountered within the project
- Automate creation of AWS infrastructure using Infrastructure as Code (IaC) techniques (CloudFormation, Terraform, etc.)
- Collaborate with others on the project to brainstorm about the best way to tackle a complex technological infrastructure, security, or development problem
- Perform incremental testing actions on code, processes, and deployments to identify ways to streamline execution and minimize errors encountered
You will excel in this role if you are:
- Embracing emerging technology and willing to leverage your existing technical expertise while you learn to leverage AWS and its accompanying tools daily as you help build and stand up a game-changing AWS cloud environment.
- Well-rounded: You will need to bring in-depth experience across multiple technologies including scripting, cloud, and orchestration tools, LINUX operating systems, networking, security, and automation.
- Motivated: You want to continually learn new things and work with new technologies.
- Agile: Able to work as part of small team working together to develop a solution for both commercial and government customers.
- Focused on Automation: Wherever possible, you look for ways to automate manual processes to increase efficiency, speed, and operability of tasks utilizing native AWS services
What we are expecting from you (i.e. the qualifications you must have):
- At least 10 years IT experience with progressive responsibility.
- At least 5 years’ experience with AWS technologies.
- Expertise with LINUX and Windows operating system environments and configuration management and automation tools such as SaltStack, Ansible, Puppet, and Chef.
- Working with and Creating a large variety of AWS resources (IAM, Security Groups, Peering Connections, WorkSpaces, RDS, DynamoDB, etc.)
- Experience with infrastructure scripting solutions such as Python (or other similar languages).
- Ability to read and edit configuration files, such as JSON and YAML.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a keen sense of customer service.
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Process-oriented with great documentation skills.
- Knowledge and application of continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) technologies such as GitLab, Jira, Confluence, Jenkins, Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Terraform, pytest, Nexus, Fortify, and/or SonarQube
- Active TS/SCI clearance with Full Scope Polygraph
What we are desiring from you (i.e. the nice-to-have qualifications):
- AWS DevOps Engineer, AWS Certified Solutions Architect, AWS Certified Developer, or AWS Certified SysOps Administrator.
- Experience as a developer working with agile software development methodologies and the Atlassian suite.
General equivalency guidelines for education, certifications, and experience are provided below;
however, these guidelines do not immediately qualify someone at a particular level. Skill levels for an
individual are based upon a combination of education, training, and experience, e.g. someone may
have 20 years of professional experience; however they may only be qualified as Full Performance
based upon the expertise needed to perform the work within that category.
• General professional years of experience may be substituted for specialized years of experience at a
ratio of three (3) years of general experience within an occupation for one (1) year of specialized
• Relevant certifications will be considered equivalent to three (3) months of specialized experience.
• An Associate’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, Business, or a
scientific or technical discipline related to the specific skill will be considered equivalent to eighteen (18)
months specialized experience.
• A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, Business, or a scientific
or technical discipline related to the specific skill will be considered equivalent to three (3) years
specialized experience (total equivalency is not cumulative when combined with an Associate’s degree).
• Typically someone that is a recognized expert or certified practitioner with a particular computer
language, system or technology that can not only deliver capabilities, but can mentor and train others.
• Generally requires eleven (11) years of experience specific to the skill and relevant training or
• Expertise, training and actual work experience with the specific computer language, systems, and/or
technology is significantly more important than the number of years of experience. This is especially
true with emerging technologies.
What we will provide in return: Excellent compensation and amazing benefits
- Multiple health insurance options which include a PPO plan with ZERO deductibles and an HSA plan.
- 401k Immediate Vesting. Company matches 100% of the first 3% contributed and 50% of the next 2% contributed.
- Fully paid long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance.
- Flexible Spending Account options.
- Generous paid time off that includes one bucket of leave to use how the employee sees fit; no separate holiday, sick, or vacation.
- Flexible work schedules with the ability to bank extra hours for additional time off.
- Government shutdown protection where employees don't have to use leave for up to 3 days out of the year for inclement weather or budget issues.
- Employee centric culture and a belief that we should empower those who are good at what they do and then give them the tools they need to achieve success and grow their career.
- A commitment to learning and growth and easy ways to achieve both including a training budget, education assistance, mentorship programs and collaborative learning sessions.
- A collaborative environment that fosters communication and an open door policy.
https://www.applied-insight.com/careers/open-positions/ EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled.
COVID Policy: Prospective and successful candidates will be required to adhere with Applied Insight’s COVID-19 policy. All Applied Insight employees must be fully vaccinated or submit to regular testing as defined in the policy and must self certify to their vaccination status on their first day of employment.