Administrative | San Francisco, CA | Full Time, Contract, and Temporary
Hospital Operator 874885
Operator Services is an integral part of the Medical Center. The Operator Services Unit is the “front door” into the Medical Center and School of Medicine for both the community and those throughout the world seeking information indigenous to the Medical Center. Operator Services staff answers both internal and external calls for the Medical Center and School of medicine, providing detailed information from everything ranging from staff listings to studies being held within the graduate schools. Operator Services also provides patient information after hours. In addition, several emergency procedures initiated throughout the medical center are executed from within the Operator Services Unit. The nature of these procedures is comparable to those of a 911 operator in many respects (i.e. ACUTE MI, Facilities Mobilization, Bomb Threats, and Operation Triage etc.). Each of these procedures is directly linked to the welfare and safety of both patients and staff. The telephone operator must have the ability to act independently in the absence of a supervisor or manager as well as be proactive in accomplishing tasks that relate to patient safety. The telephone operator must have the analytical skills to provide assistance in a wide variety of areas relating to the various aspects of the Medical Center and School of Medicine
- Operates Siemens PBX Console, Northern Telecom Console, AMCOM, smartweb database
- Answer and extent all incoming calls in polite, helpful and professional manner.
- Provides patient information on room location and telephone number and extends calls to patient rooms or appropriate nursing station.
- Provides caller assistance with regard to location and telephone number for Campus and Medical Center numbers and Mt. Zion Medical Center numbers.
- Provides local and long distance call placement for in-house staff. Connects callers to appropriate external operators.
- Answer emergent telephone lines (acute MI, needlestick, code phones, etc)
AFTER HOURS support:
- Receive patient calls after support clinics are closed Operator will triage patient calls for support clinics and page corresponding clinicians as required Execute escalation processes for the above support
- Provides Paging and Paging Information Answers to in-house page requests.
- Pages are requested, with guidelines and protocol with respect to digital and overhead pages.
- Provides on call services on a 24/7 basis for over 65 specialties for both inpatient and outpatient.
- Performs alphanumeric paging for ACUTE MI calls.
- Responds to the emergency situations according to protocol. These would include Bomb Threats, and disaster declarations.
- Maintains current listing of physicians, which includes department information, physician information including telephone and pager numbers through data entry into the AMCOM database as well as other custom applications.
- Maintains accurate logs for incident reports and trouble logs as required.
- Submits data entry corrections via custom applications to the data system administrator or evening shift to insure correct and current information is contained in the operator database.
- Special projects assigned by the Supervisor or Manager that are within the incumbent’s classification.
- Performed by the Evening and Night Personnel: Serves as primary data entry staff to extract and input data into several custom applications.
Provides updates to database for resident rotations. Evening and Night Personnel Additional Duties for operators. Data Entry function will be performed.
- Custom application updates for Parnassus or Mt.Zion which include:
- Departmental name and telephone number lists, which are provided as new or updated information.
- Performs changes to existing information as noted by Operator Staff or Management.
- Input on-call information as soon as it is supplied by the Medical Center and Campus Departments. This will include rotation information and timely notification of missing call information to supervisory staff.
- Excellent command of the English language
- Ability to communicate with a diverse population
- There can be emergent/emergencies that requires coordination with internal resources
- Good customer service
- Prior experience in a communication position – i.e. switchboard, Comm Tech, PBX Operator strongly preferred
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology
- Work experience with a “windows application” on PC
- Willingness to learn
- Second language skill may be used in the work environment
$23 per hour San Francisco, CA 94115 3 Month Assignment