Pharmacy Technician (San Antonio-cg-es)
Pharmacy Technician | San Antonio, TX | Full Time and Contract
Work Location: San Antonio TX
Under direct supervision of a physician working within a clinic admixture room, performs the technical, non-judgmental aspects of medication preparation, distribution, record keeping and inventory control. Tasks are subject to sequential or final verification by a registered nurse or a registered pharmacist. Supports and adheres to the US Oncology Compliance Program, to include the Code of Ethics and Business Standards. Specific state law may regulate that only licensed individuals perform compounding or mixing responsibilities. As a result, certain incumbents are prohibited from said tasks.
Job Duties/Responsibilities/Functions (including but not limited to)
- Prepares medication orders by compounding or admixing medications under supervision of a physician. Checks all orders for completeness of information.
- Verifies patient information and proper physician authorization.
- Checks all orders for insurance approval before admixing. Under a professional's supervision, admixes drugs as ordered by physician in an accurate and timely manner as per department guidelines, and preparing all drugs within OSHA guidelines and interoffice guidelines.
- Calculates correct dosage volumes, converting between metric and apothecary equivalents. Maintains indigent patient drug program as assigned. Counts controlled drugs weekly and maintain records. Maintains current drug information and MSDS sheets.
- Properly disposes all materials used when mixing chemo or non-chemo IVs. Cleans hood daily or as stated in policy and procedures.
- Logs and dates all drugs that are being used. Checks drugs monthly for outdated and other quality assurance activities as assigned. Keeps accurate temperature logs. Keeps accurate logs on all protocol drugs and patient assistance drugs.
- Maintains proper control documentation of medications, including lot numbers. Complete inventory control of medications. Receives and shelves medications.
- Assists lead admixture technician in ensuring that standard drug supplies are in adequate supply in all departments.
- Prepares labels. Files and prepares billing. Performs efficient data entry into systems used by pharmacy and admixture. Ordering of medication and supplies as directed.
- Assist with required cleaning and maintenance of the admix area and the pharmacy department in general to minimize particle counts and improve overall sanitation
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum five to seven year’s experience in a pharmacy with I.V. skills.
- Oncology background preferred or extensive I.V. preparation experience.
- I.V. certification preferred.
- Certified Pharmacy Technician certificate or State Pharmacy Board requirement recommended.
- Completion of an ASHP accredited program or community college-based program recommended.
InGenesis is dedicated to placing people in positions that preserve life, improve lives and inspire others. This does not happen without passionate people, skilled colleagues who are motivated to create innovative solutions and deliver superior service to our clients. Founded in 1998, InGenesis manages thousands of employees, including pioneering healthcare, science, technology and pharma professionals. The workforce solutions company includes almost half of the Fortune 500 in its nearly 300 clients. It is recognized as one of the largest healthcare staffing firms, and InGenesis is the largest minority/women owned healthcare staffing firm in North America.
We support a diverse workforce and is an Equal Opportunity Employer who does not discriminate against employees and applicants for employment on the basis of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other classification protected by law.