Operating Room Surgical Technologist
Health Care | Dallas, TX | Contract
Operating Room Surgical Technologist / Technician
-MINIMUM EXPERIENCE: New graduate to one (0-1) years’ experience with knowledge of general surgical procedures and able to operate basic/standard OR equipment.
-REQUIRED LICENSE/CERTIFICATION: Surgical Technologist Certification and current BCLS
-TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: Able to operate basic/standard pieces of OR equipment.
-PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS : Constant walking, standing, bending, turning, and stooping. Pushing and pulling heavy objects such as patient beds and stretchers. Must be able to help lift patients, heavy boxes, and instrument sets.
-POSITION REPORTS TO: Clinical Coordinator/Manager/Surgical Services director.
-POSITION MANAGES: May be asked to supervise unlicensed healthcare personnel
1. Assist the RN circulator with preparing the operating room for the arrival of the patient. Maintain ongoing communication with RN circulator regarding the surgical procedure and patient status.
2. Select, inspect, and open surgical supplies and equipment in a timely manner according to the physician's preference list.
3. Properly perform a surgical hand scrub and gown self and others.
4. Create and maintain a sterile field with the essential surgical supplies and equipment needed for the surgical procedure in a timely, functional, and organized manner. Maintain high standards of aseptic technique during surgical procedure. Takes corrective action for breaks in aseptic technique.
5. Ensure patient safety by checking all equipment for proper working order prior to the surgical procedure.
6. Perform sponge, sharps, and formal/inventory instrument counts with the RN circulator at proper count intervals.
7. Properly pass surgical instruments and anticipate surgeon's needs during the surgical procedure.
8. Clean and prepare surgical instruments for terminal sterilization. Assist with operating room turnover.
1. Organize and prioritize preoperative tasks based on identified need. Demonstrate competency to operate surgical instruments, supplies, and equipment. Demonstrates proficiency and independence.
2. Serve as a technical subject matter person, resource person, and/or preceptor to preoperative nursing staff rotating through specialty service. Complete written clinical performance evaluation form in a timely manner.
3. Safely handle and operate surgical instruments, supplies, and equipment and perform safe preoperative care in a manner that is cost effective without compromising quality of care.
4. Problem-solve minor issues of counts/errors, patient care, relationships, equipment, supplies, and the environment prior to management intervention. Actively provide and support efforts to develop and maintain a team environment.
5. Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records.
ABILITY, ATTITUDE, APPEARANCE
- Maintains patient confidentiality in accordance with University Medical Center policy.
- Consistently maintains control of feelings, emotions and body language.
- Demonstrates through verbal and non-verbal communications openness to change or new ideas. Willingly learns and adapts to changes in work environment and new work methods as introduced. Demonstrates flexibility to fluctuating workload and effectively prioritizes assignments.
- Exhibits a positive attitude in support of the hospital and management, including decisions made by administration and/or management. Treats hospital resources and property with respect and in a manner that reflects awareness of financial responsibility.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures related to safety, infection control, and corporate compliance. Including personal demeanor, appearance, and hygiene that are appropriate for the work environment.