Library Support Associate (cgteam-Athens-es)
Administrative | Athens, OH | Full Time, Part Time, and Contract
Library Support Associate
Supervises overnight during academic year (with some exceptions) the operations of the Learning Commons and provides oversight of student employees. Provides overnight assistance to patrons via a variety of methods and gives basic technical assistance and troubleshooting on software programs, computer operation and the printing system. Maintains the floor and library building during hours when no other full-time staff members are available.
1. Assisting library users with research and answering basic research questions.
• Answers walk-in, phone, and online reference questions.
• Demonstrates databases and internet sources to student users.
• Refers difficult questions to daytime staff and/or subject librarians for in-depth assistance.
2. Maintains the security, comfort and safety of the persons and equipment in the Learning Commons during open hours.
• Responsible for checking identification and restricting access to the learning commons after midnight.
• Deals with sleeping or disruptive patrons and interfaces with OUPD and Facilities Management.
• Monitors floor activities to ensure a safe and peaceful overnight experience.
3. Supervises overnight student employees and assists in supervision of public services student employees
• Hires and trains overnight student assistants.
• Assigns tasks and responsibilities for student employees.
• Evaluates and disciplines student employees.
• Monitors and approves overnight student timesheets.
4. Provides technical support and assistance during late-night and overnight hours.
• Maintains and troubleshoots the printing authentication system, printers, copiers and computers.
• Demonstrates specific software applications and assists students in their use.
5. Works on assigned projects while available at the desk.
• Short-term projects include searching a list of books for catalog availability
• Long projects include moving, linking and entering items or searching and marking books for possible withdrawal.
Associate’s degree, or vocational or technical school degree
Field of Study: Library Technology
Bachelor’s degree preferred.