Dental Assistants | Bowling Green, VA | Full Time
1. Maintains CPR/BLS certification.
2. Cultural Competency.
3. Interpersonal Skills.
4. Good Oral/Written Communication Skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Receives and schedules patients for treatment in dental clinic.
2. Obtains and records information related to medical history of patient; routes patients for
medical tests and services when required.
3. Maintains dental equipment in a clean and operative condition.
4. Orders and stores dental supplies
5. Performs optimum sterilization and/or disinfection procedures including proper
instrument preparation, processing and sterilization in accordance with national policy
and procedure and the CDC guidelines
6. Manages autoclave operation, maintenance and monitoring procedures to include spore
testing per National Policy and Procedure and CDC guidelines.
7. Makes preparations for general dentistry and oral surgery performed in the dental clinic.
By preparing instruments, equipment and materials using aseptic technique and
8. Assists in monitoring patient by noting vital signs for signs of adverse reaction to
9. Demonstrates understanding of dental materials used in the dental clinic and the ability to
properly mix and manipulate these materials per manufacturer’s recommendations.
10. Performs operatory clean-up procedures including surface disinfection, waterline and
suction treatment, proper sharps handling and disposal methods in accordance with CDC
11. Packages tissue specimens and routes to pathological laboratory, per standard protocol.
12. Changes and removes surgical dressings and removes sutures as directed.
13. Applies the concepts of four-handed dentistry to maintain a field of operation through the
use of retraction, suction, irrigation, drying, placing and removing cotton rolls and
shields, lighting, etc., during the following dental procedures:
a. Oral Surgery
14. Provides patient education per dentist for all types of post treatment care including
15. Records treatment and examination information on patient records.
16. Prepares health history and consent forms for dental procedures.
17. Operates and maintains dental X-ray equipment to take intra-and extra-oral radiographs.
18. Develops and finishes film.
19. Takes preliminary impressions, pours and trims models from impressions, constructs base
plates and bite rims.
20. Assist in maintaining daily/ monthly statistics and preparing reports as needed.
21. Provides oral hygiene education.
22. Triages dental patients and determine appropriate referral source.
23. Maintains all required logs/ inventories: biopsy log, sharps log, tool log, chemical
inventory, post-operative evaluation log, etc.
24. Maintains tool control at all times.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
1. Knowledge of broad Dentistry functions (e.g diagnosis, treatment, prevention, and
2. Knowledge of American Dental Association and Center for Disease Control and
Prevention standards regarding dental care and related issues.
3. To perform four-handed dentistry, must have good finger dexterity and arm-hand
steadiness, ability to work with persons from a wide diversity of ethnic and social
backgrounds, ability to work with other health care providers from a variety of
4. Registered Dental Assistants preferred. If not registered, must be a Certified Dental
Assistant from a dental assisting program. X-ray certification is required per state board
regulations. Dental Assistant National Board (DANB) certification is preferred, but not
5. Information Technology (IT): Minimal requirement is a basic level of experience in
working with office technology including Microsoft Office products.
1. The work may require physical exertion such as lifting objects greater than 30 pounds.
2. Required to perform CPR standing or kneeling.
3. Must be able to assist patients in and out of wheelchairs.
4. The work may necessitate some physical characteristics that will be required when
responding to an emergency situation, such as running short distance, prolonged standing
and working in an austere environment.
InGenesis is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.