SOC Staff Attorney
Legal | Hybrid in Washington, DC | Full Time | From $95,270.00 to $123,867.00 per year
SOC Staff Attorney
The Strategic Organizing Center is seeking a Staff Attorney to provide innovative legal strategies to support campaigns that challenge the power and conduct of America’s largest corporations.
This position demands creativity and resourcefulness, as the Staff Attorney is called upon to engage a wide variety of situations and areas of the law. The Staff Attorney conducts legal research and develops legal strategy in collaboration with the staff of the Strategic Organizing Center and our affiliates in legal, research, organizing and communications departments in a range of areas including corporate accountability, competition/antitrust, consumer protection, civil rights, and employment/ workplace issues. The Staff Attorney is part of a team of seasoned legal campaigners and reports to the Legal Director.
About the SOC:
The Strategic Organizing Center (SOC) engages in paradigm-shifting campaigns that confront corporate misconduct, racism and sexism, and challenges existing anti-worker policy and corporate-friendly law. We do this work in partnership with our affiliated unions and with the broader progressive community in the US and globally. Since our establishment in 2005, we have been mission focused on helping workers and unions organize for power at work.
The Strategic Organizing Center is a democratic union federation whose three affiliated unions – the Service Employees International Union, the Communications Workers of America and the United Farmworkers of America – represent some 3 million workers. These unions have been leaders of the labor movement’s efforts to help workers form unions to secure fair pay, benefits and justice on the job.
Through cutting-edge research and innovative campaigns, the SOC advocates for workers, consumers and other constituencies harmed by concentrated corporate power across a wide range of industries, including food service, transportation and logistics, communications, healthcare and more.
Today, our work is focused on such companies as Amazon, Activision Blizzard, and Starbucks as well as campaigns including the Fight for $15 and Code CWA.
- Provide legal advice and review on strategies and tactics related to organizing and corporate responsibility campaigns
- Research and develop new legal strategies to advance worker and consumer rights and protections
- Advocate directly to regulators for enforcement action, policy reforms and rulemaking
- Assist workers in their efforts to change their workplaces
- Provide advice on drafting federal and state legislation
- Help develop public messaging of campaigns
- Collaborate effectively with union affiliates, outside law firms and other external allies
- Law degree and current law license
- At least 4 years of litigation or similar legal experience
- A passion for justice and a strong commitment to workers’ rights
- Very good research, writing and communication skills
- Track record of driving ideas and managing initiatives
- Track record of conducting effective meetings with internal and external personnel
- Experience in the labor movement strongly preferred
Salary and benefits
- Salary range: $95,270 to $123,867
- Benefits: The SOC offers fully employer-paid comprehensive health insurance benefits (medical, dental, vision and prescription benefits) for employees, their spouses or domestic partners, and children; a 12% of salary contribution paid by the SOC to a 401K retirement plan after six months of employment; fully paid premiums for life insurance, short and long term disability; thirteen days of accrued sick leave, plus eight weeks of parental leave, fourteen paid holidays, ten days of paid vacation (vacation time increases with seniority to up to 25 days per year), two personal days and four days of compensatory time. The SOC also offers a $1,000 professional development budget each year for each staff member.
- Work schedule that promotes a healthy work-life balance.
Women and people of color are strongly urged to apply. The SOC does not discriminate in any of its programs, procedures, or practices on the basis of age, color, disability, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or veteran status.
Work Location: Staff Attorney is expected to work from one of the SOC’s two offices, located in DC and New York. Under current policy, SOC employees spend two days per week in-office and may work remotely otherwise.