SOC HBCU Economic Justice Apprentice - DC
Strategic Research and Campaigns | Washington, DC | Full Time | From $22.00 to $22.00 per hour
The SOC HBCU Economic Justice Apprenticeship
Join us as we Build Power at Work
Starting June, 2022
“If there is no struggle there is no progress…Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.” Frederick Douglas, 1857
The Strategic Organizing Center (SOC) engages in paradigm-shifting campaigns that confront corporate misconduct, racism and sexism, and challenges existing anti-worker policy and corporate-friendly law in order to grow union membership throughout the US economy. We do this work in partnership with our affiliated unions and with the broader progressive community in the US and globally. Since our establishment in 2005, we have been mission focused on helping workers and unions organize for power at work.
The Strategic Organizing Center is a democratic union federation whose four affiliated unions – the Service Employees International Union, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, the Communications Workers of America and the United Farmworkers – represent more than 4 million workers. These unions have been leaders of the American labor movement’s efforts to help workers form unions to secure fair pay, benefits and justice on the job.
Today, our work is focused on such companies as Amazon, Google, McDonald’s, Uber and campaigns including the Fight for $15, Code CWA and Justice for Port Truck Drivers.
The apprenticeship is a four-month long intensive training and campaigning experience. You will learn research and tactical skills to help workers build power and effectively confront corporations. You will be asked to read, write and think critically and creatively. You will have the opportunity to engage with workers, regulators, elected officials and allies as the campaigns require and will be included in the development of campaign strategy and tactics.
Most of your work will be based in our offices in either Washington, DC or New York City (COVID safety permitting), affording you the maximum ability to learn from experienced managers and co-workers.
You will be classified as a temporary, full-time employee of the SOC and will receive the following pay and benefits:
- $22 per hour, 35-hour work week
- A housing stipend of $1250 per month
- Employer-paid healthcare benefits
- Employer-provided Iphone and laptop computer
- Vacation and holiday pay
The apprenticeship is intended to be a pathway to employment in the labor movement, at the SOC or other unions, as well as at alternative labor organizations and policy centers.
Who should apply?
- Graduating seniors looking to explore a career fighting for progressive change
- Activists concerned about workers’ rights, racism, corporate power, and economic justice
- People with a desire to work hard for justice
- People eager to learn new skills and willing to share what they know with a team of committed co-workers
Some of what you will do
- Examine market and industry trends, analyze the growth and development plans of key market players and track relevant policy and legislative developments
- Conduct original research, both qualitative and quantitative in nature, using a wide variety of research resources and methods
- Collect and maintain source data and materials needed to support research conclusions with precision and accuracy
- Draft a variety of written work products for a diverse set of audiences including regulators, allies, policymakers and the media
- Participate in campaign field activities with unions, workers and coalition partners
Qualifications we are looking for
- BA degree
- Availability to work in either New York City or Washington, DC
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Background in campus or community organizing/activism
- Coursework in economics, political science, history, race and/or gender studies, philosophy or journalism, a plus
- Familiarity with database programs, dataset creation or data-based research, a plus