Director, PR and Publicity (Social Impact & Philanthropy)
PR & Publicity | Hybrid in New York, NY | Full Time | From $120,000.00 to $130,000.00 per year
Sesame Workshop is looking for a Director, Public Relations and Publicity. The right candidate will serve as the lead publicist for Sesame Workshop’s Social Impact & Philanthropy (SIP) teams. This includes conceiving of and executing PR campaigns for the organization’s philanthropically funded work in the US and around the world.
The Director is responsible for developing an integrated plan for Sesame Workshop’s social impact and philanthropically funded programs, including creating messaging and materials to inform, educate, and inspire key audiences such as press, families, educators and providers, and potential and existing funders. This person will translate initiatives into compelling story ideas and cultivate relationships with broadcast, print, and digital press outlets to place impactful features that contribute to the narrative that the organization is an innovative, creative, and globally relevant nonprofit. A cornerstone of this role is using Sesame’s beloved media properties as powerful vehicles to elevate the organization and its mission to help children everywhere grow smarter, stronger, and kinder.
This position reports to the Vice President, PR and Publicity.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy for the Workshop’s Social Impact and Philanthropy (SIP) work so that we can tell our story in the US and abroad. Our goal is to reach multiple audiences: press; the general public with a focus on families; partners; and potential donors.
- Build awareness for Sesame Workshop as a global impact nonprofit organization by connecting the narrative between the beloved Sesame Street brand and our social impact initiatives with the media.
- Craft messaging for key initiatives and announcements for a wide range of domestic and international social impact programs, as well as Sesame Workshop’s giving program and Annual Benefit Dinner. The Director will oversee PR, publicity, and communications for targeted initiatives supporting children affected by challenges like conflict and crisis, and traumatic experiences, as well as programs related to emotional well-being, building positive healthy identity, autism, gender equity, military families, and much more.
- Draft and coordinate approval of press releases and talking points for a wide range of announcements, with both internal stakeholders and partner organizations.
- Coordinate interviews and segments across all media platforms with Sesame Muppets and executives to promote Sesame Workshop’s domestic and international social impact initiatives.
- Provide PR support for Sesame Workshop international offices in South Africa, Bangladesh, and India.
- Cultivate relationships with press outlets to place thoughtfully timed, high-profile features about Sesame Workshop as a center of creativity, innovation, business savvy, and philanthropic heft.
- Work collaboratively with the MarComms team to identify the best outreach strategies and ensure that efforts to promote our work are integrated.
- Work with and manage a PR agency.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of public relations/communications experience, including excellent thought leadership, strategic, analytical, and forward-planning skills. Experience in the nonprofit and humanitarian sectors is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of and passion for nonprofit organizations, humanitarian work, and children’s media, specifically Sesame Workshop’s mission-driven work
- Excellent writing skills and strong editorial sensibility, capable of prioritizing and distilling information to achieve maximum impact with messaging
- Established rolodex of media contacts and reporters
- Social media fluency and professionalism, capable of integrating social media initiatives with other external channels
- Relationship builder with well-developed people skills: an ability to collaborate and work well with others coupled with a strong proactive instinct to problem-solve
- Action-oriented, hardworking, and energetic; comfortable fielding time-sensitive incoming press inquiries
- Multi-tasker with excellent organizational skills who can pay close attention to detail
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally with executives and talent to promote Sesame Workshop’s initiatives
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity