People's Health Centers | St. Louis, MO | Full Time
Role and Responsibilities
- Maintain payroll information by collecting, calculating, and entering data.
- Reconcile employee sick/vacation and overtime reports
- Liaise with the HR department to ensure accurate information for payroll payment
- Utilize computer software for data entry and accounts management
- Update payroll records by entering changes in exemptions, insurance coverage, savings deductions, and job title and department/division transfers.
- Perform wage verification when requested.
- Prepare and keep track of reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability, vacation and nontaxable wages.
- Maintain and process employee data including payroll, timesheet, attendance, W4, benefits and other information.
- Determines payroll liabilities by calculating employee federal and state income and social security taxes and employer's social security, unemployment, and workers compensation payments.
- Resolve payroll discrepancies by verifying employee records and consulting departments to collect and analyze information
- Provide payroll information by answering questions and requests.
- Maintain payroll operations by following policies and procedures; reporting needed changes.
- Provide Management with requested periodic payroll reports or data
- Distribute payroll checks and print EFTs, sealing for distribution and adding any attachments for employees.
- Maintain accurate records of payments made to employees
- Assist in preparing monthly, quarterly, and/or annual financial statements, including regulatory and governing body reports as applicable.
- Prepare journal entries related to the various areas in support of month end closing.
- Perform monthly, quarterly, and annual closing activities.
- Assist in preparation of the annual operating budgets, grant budgets, reports for Grantee and Governmental agencies and other miscellaneous projects.
- Perform applicable bank account and general ledger account reconciliations and analyses.
- Monitor compliance with GAAP, Institution’s policies, and policies of funding agencies.
- Assess internal controls, including risk assessments, reviews of risk areas, and develop appropriate corrective action plans.
- Maintain current written desktop procedures.
- Post cash receipts to the general ledger on a daily basis
- Review bank deposits for accuracy
- Complete daily mail deposits
- Maintain historical records in compliance with the record retention policies.
- Handle phone inquiries from internal and external customers as appropriate regarding payroll accounting matters
- Perform other appropriate duties as assigned.
- Ability to develop oneself through continuous learning, initiative, innovation, resourcefulness, and critical thinking.
- Ability to prioritize, effectively handle multiple projects concurrently, and take ownership of work.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines, work extended hours during accounting close, audit periods and other critical times.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team as necessary.
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external customers.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of company information.
- Must be detail oriented, but able to maintain a balanced perspective in rapidly changing business circumstances.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Execute basic data entry skills in an accurate and meticulous manner.
- Ability to sit in front of a computer for long hours at a time.
Formal Policy Setting Responsibilities
The employee is formally responsible for making recommendations that may or may not be accepted at a higher level regarding the job’s purpose, essential responsibilities, and operations.
Formal Supervisory Responsibilities
The employee is not formally responsible for supervising staff.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting desired, but not required.
- In depth experience and knowledge of accounting principles/theories (GAAP, FASB) highly desired.
- Not-For-Profit Accounting experience is highly desired.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should be:
- Knowledge and experience with integrated accounting systems for general ledger.
- Knowledge of Dynamics Great Plains accounting software desired.
- Knowledge of ADP, Human Resources Benefits program (HRB) and the electronic time clock system desired.
- Ability to ADP report writer.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel including V lookups, pivot tables, data, and quantitative analysis. Intermediate to advanced experience with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft 365.
- Ability to understand oral and written communications.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to approach problems in a detail and solution-oriented manner.
The above statements describe the job’s essential responsibilities and requirements. They are not an exhaustive list of the duties that may be assigned to job incumbents.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer