Accounts Payable Specialist
People's Health Centers | St. Louis, MO | Full Time
Summary : Detail focused individual who will assist the Accounting Manager in coordinating the daily departmental operations and financial analysis for the organization. Monitor on-going costs, prepare statistics and analyze trends and variances.
Role and Responsibilities
- Manage accounts payable for the multiple People’s Family of Corporations and across multiple locations in the shared accounting services model.
- Manage accounts payable using accounting software and other programs, analyze/review workflow process in Concur
- Perform coding of invoices
- Respond to external vendors and internal managers regarding all aspects of the accounts payable process, including processing invoices for payment and reconciliation of subsidiary to general ledger
- Implement tactical processes, enforce policies and monitor internal controls.
- Review purchase orders, invoice totals, terms of payment and other charges (i.e. ensure that the organization is not accessed any taxes, late fees or finance charges)
- Reconcile vendor statements to ensure organization accounts for all possible invoices and credits
- Research information to provide accurate and timely solutions to internal clients and vendors at designated facility site.
- Verify the accuracy of vendor invoices and confirm that the correct general ledger account codes are used.
- Keep track of all payments and expenditures, purchase orders, invoices, statements, etc.
- Generate payment to vendors on a routine schedule and match the check with backup for review by the Senior Accountant, Controller or other appropriate personnel.
- Inspect paid and unpaid invoices including cleared payment inquiries and check voiding to maintain accurate files and records according to company standards.
- Develop and maintain a filing system for financial information, records and documents to ensure easily available information.
- Maintain historical records in compliance with the record retention policies.
- Continue to improve the accounts payable process (i.e. identify systemic root causes related to the general ledger, accounting software, establishing and maintaining relationships with new and existing vendors, etc.)
- Produce month end and year end reports.
- Assist the Supervisors and Managers with the problems regarding accruals, invoices, stale checks, expense periods and inventory.
- Collect appropriate IRS W9 information and maintains the AP tax information to meet IRS regulations.
- Assist in yearend IRS 1099 processing and preparation by verifying all data paid in the applicable year.
- Maintain the integrity of the vendor master file to ensure payments are aged properly.
- Assist in preparing monthly, quarterly, annual financial statements, and/or audits including regulatory and governing body reports as applicable.
- Provide requested information to assist in preparation of appropriate journal entries related to the various areas in support of month end closing.
- Provide requested information to assist in preparation of the annual operating budgets, grant budgets, reports for Grantee and Governmental agencies and other miscellaneous projects.
- Perform appropriate general ledger account reconciliations and analyses.
- Monitor compliance with GAAP, Institution’s policies, and policies of funding agencies.
- Assess internal controls, including risk assessments, reviews of risk areas, and develop appropriate corrective action plans.
- Maintain current written desk top procedures.
- Perform other appropriate duties as assigned.
- Ability to develop oneself through continuous learning, initiative, innovation, resourcefulness, and critical thinking.
- Ability to prioritize, effectively handle multiple projects concurrently, and take ownership of work.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines, work extended hours during accounting close, audit periods and other critical times.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team as necessary.
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external customers.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of company information.
- Must be detail oriented, but able to maintain a balanced perspective in rapidly changing business circumstances.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Execute basic data entry skills in an accurate and meticulous manner.
- Ability to sit in front of a computer for long hours at a time.
Formal Policy Setting Responsibilities
The employee is formally responsible for making recommendations that may or may not be accepted at a higher level regarding the job’s purpose, essential responsibilities, and operations.
Formal Supervisory Responsibilities
The employee is not formally responsible for supervising staff.
- Associate Bachelor's degree in Accounting desired.
- In depth experience and knowledge of accounting principles/theories (GAAP, FASB) highly desired.
- Not-For-Profit Accounting experience is highly desired.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should be:
- Knowledge and experience with integrated accounting systems for general ledger.
- Knowledge of Dynamics Great Plains accounting software desired.
- Knowledge of ADP, Human Resources Benefits program (HRB) and the electronic time clock system desired.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel including V lookups, pivot tables, data, and quantitative analysis. Intermediate to advanced experience with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft 365 desired.
- Ability to understand oral and written communications.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to approach problems in a detail and solution-oriented manner.
The above statements describe the job’s essential responsibilities and requirements. They are not an exhaustive list of the duties that may be assigned to job incumbents.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Services Provided On A Non-Discriminatory Basis