Senior Business Analyst (H)
Business Operations | San Francisco, CA | Full Time, Contract, and Temporary
Senior Business Analyst 948618 (H)
The Senior Business Analyst position in the Department of Quality, Division of Analytics and Clinical Effectiveness is responsible for supporting the transformation of clinical and operational processes by providing analytic insight on areas of improvement. In collaboration with the other Divisions within the Department of Quality, the incumbent will be part of a systematic approach to maintaining and enhancing the quality of patient care, using evidence-based practices and critical thought to improve patient outcomes.
The Senior Business Analyst has advanced technical skills, is able to manage complex and iterative projects and has the business experience to understand and communicate with non-technical users. Projects involve relationships with a variety of teams, including Physicians and frontline staff, Business Intelligence and IT, Population Health Analytics and Decision Support Services: interest and excitement in partnership across the continuum is critical. Healthcare reform and systems management paradigms have driven a substantial increase in the variety and volume of data; explore this foundational, growth-oriented opportunity to implement healthcare analytics at the company and transform the way we deliver care.
Analytics & Report Writing
- Apply advanced skills to produce in-depth forecasts, advanced statistical quantitative analyses, complex reports, data sets, and recommendations to support and enhance business and clinical processes. Work on large projects with many data streams.
- Analyze and troubleshoot highly-complex data errors and problems, designing, testing, and applying advanced functional solutions
- Manage data collection, aggregation, and analysis for Department of Quality initiatives and interventions
- · Develop complex SQL (structured query language) queries to support and report templates for ad hoc and ongoing report requests.
- Evalute data sources for relevance, integrity and accuracy. Identify issues and collaborate on solutions to data management challenges.
- Extract and analyze data from the electronic medical record system (Epic/APeX)
- Support ETL processes (extract, transform, load) for data warehouse needs
- Conduct industry benchmarking analysis to identify best practices and client performance or capability gaps. Develop and present quantitiative business cases to managers and senior leaders.Research and recommend new technologies to improve and expand on current efficiencies
Collaboration and Communication
- Partner with key clinical and business personnel and leadership on project teams to identify appropriate analytic objectives and solutions
- Consult with department leaders and process owners to gather and clarify data and reporting requirements for highly-complex business intelligence solutions and analytics.
- Serve on committees and participate on cross-functional teams to solve complex business, process, service and / or systems issues.
- Manipulate, analyze, interpret and summarize complex data in order to facilitate decision-making for stakeholders
- Communicate findings of analyses and insights verbally, visually and in writing to internal and external audiences
- Serve as consultant for advanced analytics and business intelligence best practices for service, performance, and documentation.
- Develop and maintain a strong, positive working relationship with staff and clinical departments
- Collaborate with IT/APeX and data warehousing departments to:
- Establish and maintain relevant data systems
- Share best practices and tools
- Increase efficiency and reduce redundancy of analytic work products across the company
- Execute assigned projects and deliverables to support analytic activities and performance improvement opportunities aimed at meeting organizational targets to optimize clinical efficiency and highest quality patient care
- Coordinate and participate in the planning, definition, design, and implementation of all reports and data dissemination tools, in collaboration with appropriate stakeholders
- Contribute in developing and / or delivering curriculum for advanced end user training to ensure competence, data access, data accuracy, and optimal performance of BI tools and processes.
- Support team efforts to identify issues, gather existing knowledge, formulate hypotheses and develop analytical plans that provide insight and encourage creative problem solving and decision making
- Identify decision points that must be achieved to maintain project timelines
- Perform other job related duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Master’s Degree in statistics, epidemiology, public health, operations research, computers/systems engineering or other relevant field OR equivalent work experience is preferred
- 5+ years’ experience in business intelligence reporting, data mining, data analysis, and/or statistical analysis
- In-depth knowledge of business intelligence functions, advanced analytics, industry standards and best practices.
- Advanced knowledge and skill in internal databases, BI applications, tools, and systems.such as SQL and APeX/Epic
- Highly proficient in all MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) and database applications
- Advanced critical thinking and problem-solving skills to manage highly-complex information, assess problems, and develop effective solutions.
- Advanced organizational and project management skills.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills with the ability to convey complex information in a clear, concise manner. Ability to produce and deliver presentations to diverse audiences.
- Advanced interpersonal skills for effective collaboration with managers, professional and technical staff.
- Ability to serve as an advanced technical leader providing advice, counsel, and analysis on business intelligence issues.
- Strong initiative and ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Discretion, confidentiality, tact, and ability to deal with sensitive data involving patient health information
- Ability to demonstrate excellent judgment, attention to process and detail
- Familiarity with health care environment
- Prior Academic Medical Center experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of key clinical quality standards (CMS QI standards and other regulatory requirements)
- Registered Nurse (RN) or other currently licensed healthcare professional is preferred
- At least one Epic Clarity module (preferred: Ambulatory or Inpatient) certification is preferred