Business Affairs | Salem, VA | Full Time | Opened 4 months ago
Responsible for organizing, directing, and evaluating a wide variety of financial activities including the planning and development of the College’s system of accounting and financial controls. The position is responsible for all Accounting functions, Accounts Payable, Student Accounts and Receivables, Payroll, Grants Accounting, Endowment/Annuity Accounting, and Lease Accounting. The Controller serves as a key member of the finance and accounting management team. Works closely with the Associate Vice President of Finance and Budget, the Vice President of Business Affairs, members of the President’s Cabinet and key budget managers across campus.
- Supervises and maintains quality control of the following areas: accounts payable, accounts receivable, student accounts, payroll, general ledger, purchasing card, debt service accounting, construction and fixed assets accounting, grants accounting, credit card/ACH processing, endowment/annuity accounting, and lease accounting.
- Coordinate fiscal year end close and prepares the College’s annual financial statements and tax returns.
- Prepare routine and ad hoc financial reports including analysis for senior management.
- Develop and administer fiscal plans, policies and procedures in compliance Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and best practices.
- Provide consultative assistance to administrative units of the College in the interpretation of financial information.
- Design, establish, and maintain an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish organizational goals and objectives; recruit, employ, train, supervise, and evaluate personnel staff.
- Serve as staff support to the Board Committees as necessary.
- Participate on campus committees that serve to benefit the mission of the College.
- Approve and/or prepare month end journal entries; balance and close monthly accounting periods and identify/resolve issues; reconcile various accounts on a monthly basis and prepares relevant monthly financial reports to stakeholders.
- Create and distribute routine and complex reports in financial reporting software as needed to improve job efficiency and meet business office and other campus departmental needs as well as board and audit needs; trains colleagues as appropriate.
- Participate in and/or oversee special projects relating to business office operations (RFP processes, internal audit of operations, review/creation of policies, etc.)
- Process various bank transactions while maintaining appropriate internal controls.
- Monitor basic and complex restricted fund activity to ensure restrictions are met and funds usage is optimized; oversees direct reports work with restricted funds and resolves complex issues.
- Complete financial surveys as needed.
- Perform other duties as required.
Education, Experience, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, with at least ten years relevant experience (Master’s degree and CPA strongly preferred).
- Proven experience as a Controller at a complex non-profit or in a similar financial leadership role.
- In-depth knowledge, interpretation and application of accounting principles, financial regulations, and reporting standards in a non-profit higher-education context.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with proven ability to reason through and independently apply accounting principles.
- Exceptional leadership and communication abilities, able to foster positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong working knowledge of Ellucian Colleague ERP system.
- Proficiency in financial software and Microsoft Office suite.
- Attention to detail and a commitment to accuracy.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Commitment to maintaining current on industry best practices and technology standards and engaging in continuous education.
About Roanoke College
Roanoke College is a place where every student who works hard has the opportunity to succeed. We champion potential, providing essential learning and leadership through innovative academic programs and transformative educational experiences, giving students the mettle, mindset, and empathy to pursue lives of purpose, build meaningful careers, and meet society’s most pressing needs. Located in scenic Salem, Virginia, Roanoke College is an intimate, welcoming community that has served the local region and beyond for nearly 200 years. Now, we’re building on momentum and offering a Roanoke experience for today’s students and a legacy that belongs to every Maroon.
Roanoke College grants equal opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by law. Unless otherwise provided in an express written contract, employment at the College is at will.