Marketing and Communications | Salem, VA | Full Time | Opened 3 months ago
Roanoke College seeks a creative communications specialist for producing content, with a focus on news generation for the college. This position creates key news and marketing content for all college publications and digital channels, including website/social channels. Distributes news to media and community outlets; ongoing pitching and story placement. The job requires creativity, attention to detail, and ability to write for various formats swiftly and create video and other content for social media channels. Special event work is required, including attendance at evening events. Working with staff and student writers is required.
- Conduct research and help develop news and feature stories for publications and website. Specifically: create, write, edit, proof, publish and distribute stories, videos, scripts, news releases and articles for all College channels.
- Write news, marketing materials and college magazine articles on an ongoing basis.
- Coordinate distribution of news releases and editorial advisories as needed, maintaining address and log information and ensuring timely distribution. Media pitching required.
- Respond to informational inquiries regarding news and events, providing the community with accurate information.
- Meet regularly with key academic departments about new news, events and other creative content development projects.
- Manage freelance and student writing projects.
- Assist with public relations and media needs at public events throughout the year.
- Supervise students every semester and offer oversight to staff members.
- Maintain copy for Website regarding news and events.
- Maintain records of media coverage for use in other college communications.
Education, Experience, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Approximately 5-10 years of experience, writing for Communications/Marketing/Public Relations/Higher-Ed marketing, with increasing roles of responsibility
- Excellent copywriting and proofreading skills, with an ability to deliver content under pressure and deadlines
- Strong organization skills and ability to hold others accountable to deadlines
- Experience supervising others and managing staff, including student writers
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to use Microsoft office, outlook and a computer
- Ability to occasionally work evenings and weekends
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, please include two writing samples of content you created for marketing and/or news.
Roanoke College is a nationally ranked residential liberal arts college affiliated with the Lutheran Church (ELCA), located in the beautiful Roanoke Valley of Virginia. A Phi Beta Kappa institution, Roanoke College is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks diversity among its faculty, staff, and students; women and members of under-represented groups are especially encouraged to apply.