Physical Plant | Salem, VA | Full Time
Roanoke College seeks a skilled carpenter to join our team. This position supervises and performs all carpentry activities of assigned projects for college facilities. This is a full-time, benefitted position that primarily works Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. with an on-call rotation every third weekend. Perks of the position include free lunch in our campus cafeteria and free tuition for the employee and their dependents after one year of service.
- Safely renders interior and exterior carpentry services for campus building, fixtures and structures.
- Effectively utilizes management techniques to complete projects on time and within budget.
- Fabricates wooden structural fixtures including cabinets, shelving, and frames.
- Repairs and refinishes furniture.
- Provides blacksmithing services including repair and replacement of panic hardware, closures, hold-open devices, and similar door hardware.
- Assists Supervisor in preparation of work estimates, including obtaining price quotes and ordering supplies and equipment.
- Corrects or reports safety or fire hazards discovered while planning or performing work.
- Thoroughly completes all paper and/or electronic records for work performed and maintains detailed files of projects.
- Performs such other duties as required.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Successful completion of a carpentry apprenticeship program is preferred.
- Ability to read technical documents, drawing, blueprints, and sketches.
- Proven experience as carpenter with hands-on experience in working with carpentry materials
- Excellent understanding of carpentry techniques and methods of installation and construction.
- Proficient in using electrical and manual equipment and measurement tools (powered saws, hammers, rulers etc.).
- Willingness to follow safety guidelines at all times.
- Ability to work the on-call rotation every three weeks.
- Strong math skills.
Founded in 1842, we are a nationally ranked residential liberal arts college affiliated with the Lutheran Church (ELCA), located in the beautiful Roanoke Valley of Virginia. A Phi Beta Kappa institution, Roanoke College is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks diversity among its faculty, staff, and students; women and members of under-represented groups are especially encouraged to apply.