Direct Services | Lathrup Village, MI | Part Time
About South Oakland Shelter:
Since 1985, South Oakland Shelter (SOS) has been at the forefront of addressing the myriad needs of homeless and displaced persons throughout Metro Detroit. SOS implements housing-first programming, operates an emergency shelter, and provides various supportive services that move people from homelessness to long-term stability. SOS also develops and operates affordable and supportive housing, and administers HandUp for 100+ homeless service agencies and their clients across the United States.
We build communities that end homelessness.
SOS is seeking a highly-motivated and organized part-time Office Coordinator to support our shelter operations and office administration needs.
Provide general administrative support for agency staff and key volunteers, including but not limited to:
- Front desk shifts, including rotating Saturdays, greeting clients, donors, and volunteers
- Perform brief, over the phone crisis resolution interventions with community members seeking shelter, referring them to appropriate staff
- Provide over the phone shelter and housing referrals to callers when SOS is at capacity
- Keep track of all calls for shelter in SOS’s tracking system
- Provide general clerical assistance for staff leadership:
Support staff in fielding and organizing correspondence; scheduling of internal and external meetings; recording meeting minutes; document preparation and file keeping; and other general administrative assistance
Assist with the preparation of proposal packets, reports, and maintenance of organizational documents
Assist with the preparation of mailings and other communications, as well as some event support and gift processing as may be needed
- Associate’s Degree required, Bachelor's degree preferred
- One or more years of office or clerical experience, preferably in a non-profit context
- Exceptional organizational and time-management skills, and excellent verbal and written communication capabilities
- An appetite for creative problem-solving
- Must be able to perform all basic clerical functions including: word processing, use of office copy/fax equipment, filing, formatting and composing correspondence, minutes, etc.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite; additional experience with Google Apps and web-based business software preferred
- Must possess and maintain a valid Michigan driver's license
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities, and skills. South Oakland Shelter is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any qualified individual based on race, creed, religion, ethnicity or sexual orientation.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume online via JobScore.
No phone or e-mail inquiries, please.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, until the position is filled.