Support | London | Full Time
Grimshaw is a leading global architecture practice with projects across all sectors. Having recently won the AJ 100 Practice of the year award, we are now looking for a talented model maker to join our newly refurbished model shop at our London studio in Farringdon.
The model shop produces high-quality presentation models whilst assisting architects and designers with sketch models, mock-ups and prototypes. Alongside traditional workshop equipment, we have a range of 3d printers that support the rapid prototyping needs of the office
The ideal candidate will have at least 4 years of industry experience as an architectural model maker and is able to demonstrate the ability to produce a range of models to a high standard. When required, they will be able to offer help and assistance to architects and designers, whilst being competent in running small to medium-sized jobs independently, with junior team members and under the guidance of the workshop manager.
- Educated to degree level in model making or hold equivalent industry experience
- Able to demonstrate a high level of accuracy and ability in architectural model making
- Able to read and understand architectural drawings and translate those into working model making files
- Confident in the use of workshop hand tools and machinery to include the band saw, disk sander, bobbin sander, circular saw, and pillar drill
- Good level of understanding of timbers, plastics and metals
- Understand different solvents and adhesives used in model making
- Able to spray with guns, airbrushes and mix colours by eye
- Fluent in a 2D cad package with good ability to draw and manipulate files in 3D for printing
- Confident user of the laser cutter
- Good level of understanding of 3D printing processes and finishing – FDM, SLA, SLS, Binder jetting
- Able to manage time on projects and accurately estimate the length of time to complete tasks
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to articulate ideas and techniques to other model makers, senior staff and architects
- Work within H&S guidelines
Grimshaw is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome people from all backgrounds and recognise that in order to be successful, we need to create an inclusive environment where everyone can realise their potential and succeed.
Any offer of employment with Grimshaw will be conditional upon you having the right to work in the UK.