Culinary Production Manager
Kitchen | Gourmet Gorilla | Full Time
Position: Culinary Production Manager
Gourmet Gorilla is looking for a Culinary Production Manager to join our culinary team! This position will be very dynamic and requires collaboration with every department in the company.
A successful candidate is one who is focused, competitive and driven by a passion for the mission to deliver good food to kids! You should have strong moral character, with a willingness and appreciation for open dialogue and transparency. An ability to facilitate or be part of a team is essential. Have an innate empathy with a keen interest in educating or being educated while building community in and around the organization. Someone who constantly strives for greatness through problem solving and innovation. Manage challenges with energy, balance and perseverance.
This position is responsible for overseeing the cooking proteins, starches, vegetables and sauces in accordance with airline specifications and NSLP, DCFS, CACFP and HACCP food hygiene standards, along with serving as the main point of contact between nutrition, inventory, sourcing, customer service and logistics departments.
- Executes and supervises food production activities and plans production schedules
- Manages proper cleaning, cutting, marinating, seasoning, cooking of food items etc.
- Supervise, coordinate and controls employees in food storage (e.g. maintaining tidiness, following the first in - first out principle)
- Monitors material consumption and orders required food and equipment on a daily basis to satisfy the daily production plan
- Participates in the development of food products and menus as needed for menu presentations
- Consistently review recipe SOPS to ensure they are accurate and up to date; conducts updates when necessary with nutrition director.
- Executes counter measures in the production in case of customer complaints
- Supports training of direct reports
- Other duties as deemed necessary
- Maintains and monitors hygiene, health and safety standards and monitors that Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulations are adhered to
- Maintains and monitors quality, conducts quality control checks according to HACCP regulations
- Conducts quality checks of goods received
- Monitors and ensures compliance with recipe specifications
- Guide, motivate and develop staff within the Human Resources policies
- Make the company's values and management principles live in the department(s)
- Manage productivity hours and costs in the area of responsibility; initiate and steer corrective actions in case of deviations
- Participate and support company sponsored initiatives such as Quality, HACCP, Lean Manufacturing, Employee Safety and Production systems
- Minimum three years’ prior experience in management or supervisory role in a large food production operation like school foodservice or the airline industry.
- Prior supervisory experience in a kitchen or culinary department.
- Full knowledge of methods, procedures and quality standards relating to company menus as well as basic kitchen procedures and terminology related to large batch cooking.
- Ability to utilize company policies to successfully uphold quality and consistency in all menu items prepared and served.
- City of Chicago and Illinois Safe Serve Manager certificate.
- Ability to effectively demonstrate and communicate the quality and mission of the company to all associates.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some who may require extreme levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to resolve problems quickly and efficiently.
- Ability to continuously visually inspect, taste and smell product to ensure freshness and quality.
- Ability to communicate effectively with associates, management, clients and vendors if necessary.
- Ability to work flexible schedule to accommodate business levels.
- Ability to communicate work-related information to coworkers and supervisors.
- An understanding of USDA school meal nutritional requirements preferred.
- MS, RDN, LDN degrees preferred
Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter for consideration.