Director of Software Development
Development | Alpharetta, GA | Full Time
The Director of Software Development directs and oversees the software function in the overall planning, organizing, developing, releasing, and maintaining software applications and systems according to business needs. The Software Engineering Director manages a departmental sub function within a broader departmental function. The Director creates functional strategies and specific objectives for the sub-function and aligns their department with the broader R&D best practices, goals, and objectives. Deep knowledge of the managed sub-function and solid knowledge of the overall departmental function is critical to success.
The position is remote/home office. Must be located in Alpharetta, GA area.
- Analyzes complex business needs presented by the users / clients and recommends technical solutions
- Ensures the consistency and stability of existing applications by creating, maintaining, and enforcing standards/procedures for implementing technical solutions as defined by the broader R&D architecture team
- Directs operations in executing production tasks according to a documented schedule that meets or exceeds customer expectations
- Oversees that software development lifecycle follows company policies and industry best practices
- Reviews all infrastructure designs, plans new implementations and ensures work is performed at the appropriate times to minimize business impact
- Performs liaison duties between users, operations, development teams and 3rd party services in the areas of application design, modifications or trouble shooting
- Conducts interviews and makes recommendations for new hires, consultants and/or replacement personnel
- Coach, mentor, train and manage performance of junior staff as needed
- Evaluates adequacy of internal controls for Software Development activities and provides recommendations for improvements
- Experience in the hotel or revenue management software industry is a plus.
- Review their team's Scrum boards weekly and ensure the teams operate efficiently and meet sprint goals
- Resource your projects and if needed create new teams. The Product Owner helps facilitate but the accountability for project resourcing is with the Heads of Engineering
- Continually work on process improvement
- Provide software development progress reports to senior management
- Mentor and train team members in agile/scrum processes
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field or related experience
- Minimum of 5 years of managerial experience
- Minimum of 8 years of experience within Software Development
- Experience in the most current technologies and products used in the technology industry
- Must have the technical capability to manage resources at the deepest levels across many areas of Development Operations such as Product Management/Coordination, Development, Quality/Testing
- Technical Capabilities with a hands-on approach in development/coding/database (.NET Core, C#, ASP.NET, and SQL-Server and other current technologies).
- Demonstrated experience leading the introduction of new technologies and standards into an evolving environment
- Demonstrated experience managing engaging employee experiences
- Leadership: Balance team resourcing and talent management. Create and foster career development and growth paths for team members in alignment with company and personal objectives.
- Expects Results: Consistently drives high standards for each individual and the team to accomplish established goals.
- Communicates and Influences: Clearly communicates information and ideas to individuals and teams in an articulate, focused and compelling way.
- Analytical and Instinctual: Compares information from multiple sources to identify core issues. Uses data to make decisions but also understands that instinct plays a part in innovating. Always uses good common sense.
- Builds and Maintains High Performing Teams: Develops, engages and retains talented team members by creating an environment where people can realize their full potential. Is ego-free. Acknowledges the work of others first.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Advanced degree or related certifications
- Team Leadership
- Project Management abilities
- Customer Client focus
- Exceptionally strong verbal and written communication skills (both internal and external)
- Demonstrated success partnering with leaders to support business process transformation and innovation
- Proven success serving as a strong change agent and leader, with a track record of designing positive
- Proven writing skills including the ability to write concisely and clearly for different audiences