Theatre | North East, MD | Full Time
Founded in 1968 to meet the post-secondary and continuing education needs of Cecil County residents, Cecil College has been serving the community and shaping its future for nearly 50 years. The College is governed by a Board of Trustees appointed by the governor. The College’s fifth president, Dr. Mary Way Bolt, reports directly to the Board of Trustees.
Cecil College is centrally located in Maryland’s most northeastern county, just one half mile from Interstate 95. It is easily accessible from Philadelphia and Baltimore, as well as from Wilmington, Delaware.
With a diverse student population, Cecil College enrolls approximately 2,500 credit students and 3,400 non-credit students. Cecil offers associate degrees, certificate programs and non-credit classes. Cecil offers a variety of associate degree and certificate programs.
Through its open admissions policy, Cecil College provides learning opportunities for all who have the desire and ability to benefit from its courses and programs, regardless of age, gender, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, or socioeconomic status.
General Duties: The Technical Director has the responsibility for the technical operations of the theatre, including lighting, sound, set design, construction coordination, and necessary maintenance. Milburn Stone Theatre produces 8-10 musicals, plays and/or concerts annually in house, as well as hosts 10+ rentals throughout the year, and hosts several college events throughout the academic year. The Technical Director reports to the Director.
- Operates, maintains and safeguards the technical assets of the theatre, including supervising the use of lighting, sound, communications equipment and the use and maintenance of stage facilities.
- In collaboration with the Artistic Director & Production Coordinator contracts Technical Staff as needed for each production.
- In collaboration with the Director & Artistic Director, assess the needs for each rental company, as well as works with the Production Coordinator to schedule their time in the facility.
- Assess supply needs and completes purchases with approval from the Director.
- Advises the lighting, sound, and/or set designers on the technical specifications, usage of technical equipment required for the individual show. Reviews, approves, and implements final designs.
- Supervises the Assistant Technical Director, Theatre Carpenter, and Production Assistants. This includes scheduling, training, evaluating, and delegating daily tasks.
- Consults with the Production Coordinator on hiring crew for each production.
- Assists in training, scheduling, and assignment of crew for individual shows.
- Orients all artistic staff and volunteers involved with in-house productions & rentals to safety and technical characteristics of the theatre proper.
- Monitors the condition of equipment including lighting, sound, and rigging. Complete & facilitate preventative maintenance of equipment. Arrange for repairs and replacements within budgetary constraints.
- Monitors the condition of storage and work areas for the theatre and maintains their safety and cleanliness.
- Maintains inventory on all equipment and supplies.
- Attends all production meetings
- Creates and works in an on-call schedule with the Assistant Technical Director & Theatre Carpenter for all tech rehearsals & performances.
- Schedules and supervises all strikes & work calls
- Supervises all rigging activities.
- Assists in set construction.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree Required
- Experience in one of the following areas: Audio Engineer, Master Electrician, Light Design, and/or Set Design
- Preferred: Master’s Degree in related field
Deadline: For best consideration please apply by September 16, 2022