CDL Instructor - Part-time
Transportation | Elkton, MD | Part Time
This is a Part-Time Position.
Founded in 1968 to meet the post-secondary and continuing education needs of Cecil County residents, Cecil College has been serving the community and shaping its future for nearly 50 years. The College is governed by a Board of Trustees appointed by the governor. The College’s fifth president, Dr. Mary Way Bolt, reports directly to the Board of Trustees.
Cecil College is centrally located in Maryland’s most northeastern county, just one half mile from Interstate 95. It is easily accessible from Philadelphia and Baltimore, as well as from Wilmington, Delaware.
With a diverse student population, Cecil College enrolls approximately 2,500 credit students and 3,400 non-credit students. Cecil offers associate degrees, certificate programs and non-credit classes. Cecil offers a variety of associate degree and certificate programs.
Through its open admissions policy, Cecil College provides learning opportunities for all who have the desire and ability to benefit from its courses and programs, regardless of age, gender, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, or socioeconomic status.
Employees of Cecil College, including instructors for online and virtual courses, must be residents of Maryland or the contiguous states of Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, or the District of Columbia.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the US, as the College does not offer Visa sponsorships.
Cecil College’s Lifelong Truck Driver Training Department is seeking Truck Driver Training Instructors. Hours vary but include weekdays, evenings and weekends. Responsibilities include: planning of student “Road and Range” field activities; effectively teaching skills related to courses in program for classroom, simulator and range/road modules. Maintain daily student attendance records; monitor daily progress of students and conduct evaluations. Report needed vehicle repairs to Coordinator. Other duties as assigned.
This is a Part-Time Position. Due to the need of interaction with students, employees, and college community, this position requires an in-person presence.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Valid Class “A” Commercial Driver License
- Minimum of 3 years recent experience as a driver of a vehicle requiring a Class “A” license
- Possess or obtain within 90 days of employment the P & S endorsements
- No points on driving record; no record of serious violations. No DUI or DWI or alcohol restriction
- Position is subject to all federal, state and local regulations for CDL drivers including DOT physical and drug screen.
- Willing to wear program uniforms and conform to program dress and appearance codes.
- Willing to conform to teaching methods and standards set by the program.
- Willing to abide by all program rules and regulations for staff and students.
- Meet all FMCSR requirements for commercial driver.
- Willing to work weekends and evenings as assigned.
- In addition to the DOT physical requirements, instructors must be able to meet the following physical requirements:
- Climbing into and out of conventional tractor cabs and trailers.
- Pulling full strength vertically and horizontally to lift tractor hood and kook and unhook a trailer.
- Standing up to 9 hours per day outside in all types of weather conditions.
- Sitting up to 9 hours per day riding a tractor trailer.
- Ability to quickly turn head and/or body to observe student driving situation.
- Ability to grab wheel and/or gear shift from the tractor passenger sear in an emergency situation.
- Ability to record and accurately calculate mileage and student driving time.
- Ability to read and write English.
- Ability to Speak English understandably so that persons can clearly and easily understand direction.
- Ability to speak distinctively and at a sufficient volume to be heard by the student driver over the noise of the running engine.