Part Time Outdoor Educator
Parks, Cultural and Natural Resources | Caldwell, ID | Part Time | From $16.00 to $16.00 per hour
This is a part time position, 19 hours weekly.
Starting wage is $16.00 per hour.
General Statement of Duties
Conducts learning sessions relating to the pre-history of the Snake River Canyon and specifically the Celebration Park area; implement re-vegetation of Celebration Park.
Outdoor Educators usually are responsible for conducting petroglyph tours, interpretive walks to the Historic Guffey Bridge, hands on discussions of the life ways of the Paleo, Archaic and Historic Indians of the region and supervising students using the atlatl range. In addition to in-person tours, staff will be expected to conduct technologically intensive virtual programs. Must maintain Celebration Park facility (includes cleaning restrooms) and lead in developing a sustainable program. Seasonal positions generally run from April thru October.
Examples of Work (Illustrative Only)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works closely with groups of children, professional researchers, general public and organize school groups and agendas;
- Make program assignments;
- Learn required materials;
- Must be competent with delivery of materials to the students and teachers, showing consistency of information between groups;
- Must be proficient in and/or able to learn the technology we use in our virtual field trips;
- Handle emergencies;
- Lead in implementing the re-vegetation of Celebration Park, plant, transplant, cultivate and care for native plants, adhere to irrigation schedules, collect native seeds and plants, mow, trim, chip, weed-eat, and rototill as assigned, maintain existing trees and assist with additional arboriculture;
- Assist with creation of annual work plan;
- Maintaining the Celebration facility, cleaning rest rooms, cleaning visitors center, and keep grounds litter free;
- Assist with daily set-up and break down of venues;
- Develop sustainable programs;
- Present all aspects of the programs;
- Train other staff members;
- Assist with phone logs and scheduling requests.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs other related duties as required.
Acceptable Experience and Training
- High school diploma or GED equivalency required, college education preferred.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation;
- Valid driver’s license required.
Essential Physical Abilities
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern verbal instructions and communicate effectively on the telephone and in person;
- Sufficient visual acuity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to comprehend written work instructions and review, prepare, and organize documents and files;
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate a personal computer and standard and specialized office equipment;
- Sufficient personal mobility, agility, strength, and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, that permits the employee to lift up to 25 pounds, work at a keyboard for an extended period of time, and work in an office;
- Sufficient personal mobility, agility, strength, and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, to walk, stand, bend, stoop, kneel, climb, in a sometimes repetitive motion for up to six (6) consecutive or
- nonconsecutive hours in a shift;
- Sufficient personal mobility, agility, strength, and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, to operate a motor vehicle in a safe manner and in compliance with Idaho and Federal laws and County policy;
- Sufficient personal mobility, agility, strength, and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, to operate machinery, work in outdoor conditions, including in climate weather and fluctuating temperatures.
Canyon County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions related to recruitment and selection are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.