Unit Service Coordinator
Healthcare/Medical | San Francisco, CA | Full Time, Contract, and Temporary
Unit Service Coordinator 852373
The Unit Service Coordinator, under the direction of the Patient Care Unit Manager, Nursing Supervisor or Charge Nurse, functions as the source of the focal communications within the patient care unit and performs administrative functions directed toward positive patient care outcomes. All patient care team members are responsible to meet patient needs, demonstrate a willingness to learn new skills, and foster a harmonious work environment in which high-quality patient care and customer service are consistently provided. Team members promote a cooperative working relationship with each other, physicians, other disciplines, and the public by facilitating and enhancing communication, displaying honesty and respect, displaying sensitivity to cultural differences, and expressing and accepting feedback in a professional manner.
- Prioritizes and responds effectively to requests that occur simultaneously.
- Initiates appropriate procedures for all emergencies.
- Conducts oneself in a calm, controlled, and professional manner.
- Receives and relays messages from patients, families, and staff to the appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
- Gives current, accurate, and complete report to oncoming Unit Service Coordinator/Charge Nurse.
- Maintains a unit-based flow board of patient bed assignments, transfers, discharges, and off-unit procedures.
- Notifies the appropriate nurse and physician when a patient arrives on the unit.
- Contacts physician and other appropriate staff when required.
- Updates bulletin boards and other communication sources on the assigned unit.
- Maintains an adequate quantity of administrative forms and supplies at the nursing station.
- Operates nursing unit equipment (e.g., computer, fax machine, imprinter device, intercom system).
- Reports and keeps track of malfunctioning equipment.
- Labels assemble, and maintains all patient charts in functional order, to include filing reports of procedures, studies, tests, etc., and chart thinning as necessary. Keep charts in the proper location.
- Dismantles patient chart and prepares for delivery to Medical Records in a timely manner. Ensures completion of the medical records.
- Accurately transcribes routine and STAT physicians’ orders.
- Completes all forms and requisitions related to charges/billing.
- Schedules procedures, tests, and x-rays utilizing knowledge of the procedure and specific departments’ functions to avoid conflict and disruption in scheduling.
- Ensures that patients’ valuables are secured according to established procedures.
- Copies necessary elements of the chart for patient discharge or transfer to another facility or department.
- Orders patient medications, equipment, and supplies as requested.
- Maintains a clean, safe, and functional work environment.
- Ability to work in a busy, team-oriented environment.
- Excellent interpersonal/communication skills to effectively interact with a diverse professional and patient population.
- Willingness to be taught/learn new skills.
- Ability to understand and communicate effectively in English both orally and in writing.
- Ability to perform basic arithmetic computations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division).
- Ability to prioritize and coordinate multiple tasks.
- Demonstrated customer service skills/experience.
- Ability to satisfactorily perform job duties as defined in the job description.
- Basic computer skills.
- Experience in a health care setting.
- Previous database/data entry experience.
- Medical terminology.
- Unit clerk experience.
20% (approx 1 shift a week) . There may be opportunity to pick up additional shifts.
SHIFT will be either: weekdays 7 - 3:30pm or 3 - 11:30pm or weekends day shift only 7 - 3:30pm.
$27 per Hour San Francisco, CA 94143 2 Month Assignment