Senior Admitting Worker
Administrative | San Francisco, CA | Full Time, Contract, and Temporary
Senior Admitting Worker 809943
Under the supervision of the Admissions and Registration Supervisor, the Emergency Department Senior Admitting Worker is generally assigned a primary work unit, but may rotate or be assigned to any area or site as outlined in the Admitting Department Expectations. The Senior Admitting Worker is responsible for greeting, patient identification, check-in and registering patients, and coordinating escort upon arrival for services and/or after triage by the nurse. The registration process includes gathering financial and demographic information, cash collection, providing information and counsel patients who have financial inquiries pertaining to their insurance eligibility and liability, cost estimates for patients and entering it into the computer system timely and accurately. The Senior Admitting Worker will also be performing unit functions, which includes pulling records from recent visit, order laboratory tests, x-rays and effectively facilitate communication among clinical staff in the ED, between ED clinical staff and clinicians outside of the ED and perform other duties as outlined in the job description. The Senior Admitting Worker must understand their role and be able to provide superior customer service and maintain a high degree of professionalism. He or she is required to utilize a variety of hospital information systems to effectively communicate with patients and visitors and to effectively respond to inquiries. The Admitting Representative must comply with all guidelines put forth by the company Policies and Procedure.
- Interviews ED patients to confirm patient demographic information and financial insurance data and completes SMARTPHRASE documentation in APEX HAR notes
- Verifies insurance eligibility and benefits via RTE/insurance websites and enters data in the registration and insurance verification screens.
- Meets the registration productivity and accuracy standards of the emergency department and company.
- Complete the admission process for patients in the Emergency room that need to be admitted.
- Verify patients’ identity and enter 2 patient identifier data in Apex following company protocol.
- Consistently completes all forms and requisitions accurately and according to Emergency Department protocols.
- Refers any complex insurances and financial arrangements to ED Financial Counselor or management as appropriate.
- Adhere to red flag protocol, refer Red Flag Alerts to Admitting supervisor
- Create referral encounter in APEX – obtain demographic information, financial and clinical data from varied sources, and coordinates with Residents/Attending MDs.
- Greet patients and families. Coordinate admission check-in and complete admissions registration.
- Effectively facilitates communication among clinical staff in the ED, and between ED clinical staff and clinicians outside of the ED.
- Keep patients and family members informed and provide update as needed to promote a patient centered environment
- Appropriately and effectively addresses incoming phone calls to the ED while maintaining company phone use standards.
- Coordinate interpreters and facilitate use of 2 way interpreting phones for patients and providers when needed.
- Provides report and updates to next incoming shift
- Maintains and updates service call board and ED staff call board as changes occur.
- Receives and relays messages from patients, families and staff to the appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
- Responsible for coordinating access to additional resources for patients/families and visitors when needed (i.e: patient relations, spiritual care services, social work and community services).
- Coordinate communication between all applicable company units and physicians with patients, family, and approved visitors.
- Promotes positive work relationships with co-workers, peers and others external departments.
- Supports and accepts changes in work responsibilities according to regulatory mandates that will improve the quality of work.
- Is able to multi-task effectively. Prioritizes and responds effectively to requests
- that occur simultaneously.
- Manages time wisely and helps foster teamwork by helping co-workers whenever possible.
- This position requires flexibility to orient and work at all company locations.
- High school diploma or GED required
- Two (2) years’ prior hospital experience at the Admitting Worker or comparable level
- Proficiency in health insurance eligibility and authorization requirements
- Proficiency in reimbursement financial policies
- ADT experience required, knowledge of office machines; typing 30 wpm. Must have basic PC skills
- Must have knowledge of Medical Terminology
- Ability to problem solve; ability to analyze data and recommend changes
- Must be able to multi task and prioritize
- Ability to follow instructions; work quickly and accurately in a fast paced environment
- Analytically and grammatical skills are necessary to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Articulate and concise oral communication and the ability to write clearly and concisely
- Ability to write clearly and concisely
- Must have strong customer service skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a culturally diverse staff and patient/family population.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Second Language
- Knowledge of government program regulations, MediCal, Medicare, MIA, CCS, and other third party payors
- Demonstrated ability to provide appropriate care based on the needs of a specific individual, including the patient’s age.
$20-$25 per hour San Francisco, CA 94143 5 Month Assignment