Design Program Manager
Program Management | San Francisco, CA | Full Time, Contract, and Temporary
Design Program Manager 6831
As a Design Program Manager within the User Experience Design organization at company, you’ll become embedded within a product design team to lead complex, multi-disciplinary programs. You’ll be responsible for championing processes in order to help the team of designers build impactful experiences across the company. You're equally at home explaining your team’s goals and recommendations to executives as you are discussing the technical trade-offs in product development with engineers and product managers. A successful Design Program Manager leverages deep application/platform knowledge, in combination with business and project management domain expertise, to drive a successful program. You are comfortable communicating on behalf of your team to scope new projects, lead designers, manage expectations, inspire collaboration, escalate risks, and report on performance.
- Build strong relationships with designers and researchers in delivering work in a way that builds trust with engineering, product management and executives.
- Build, manage, and/or identify operational improvements to creative workflows in order to deliver high-quality products and features through the project lifecycle while delivering on goals and objectives and user experience value.
- Lead or collaborate with User Experience Design team leadership in key project decision-making, including: requirements gathering, scheduling, resource allocation, and coordination of teams and approval processes.
- Help stakeholders across adjacent business lines define opportunities to closer integrate company products.
- Partner with TPM, Product Managers, Design Managers, and Researchers to maintain the team’s program schedule that consolidates individual project track plans, reflects cross-track dependencies, and eliminates redundancies among the tracks.
- Manage program risks and drive issue resolution as it relates to meeting the overall schedule and quality commitments.
- Partner with your team’s leads to develop the strategic vision and help build an innovative, world-class roadmap of features and services that support our vision and values.
- Work with stakeholders throughout the org to help define business needs, requirements, investment priorities and product features.
- Direct the evolution of the team’s process through continuous risk and optimization assessments.
- Identify team needs with regards to process, tools, documentation, etc., and implement or drive required changes to make sure designers and researchers are working at optimum efficiency.
- Advocate that the member’s voice is heard in all product and user experience processes.
- Represent and advocate for the team’s priorities during the development process, including release planning, user story grooming and backlog management.
- For high visibility projects, own schedules and task assignments for your team of designers - from large phases through to detailed tasks.
- Clearly identify, explain, and communicate progress, status, expectations, dependencies and risks to executives, business stakeholders and team members.
- Use knowledge, creativity, and company practices and priorities to obtain solutions to complex problems.
- Facilitate team onboarding for new hires and rotations.
- Own and manage team documentation, including team sites, status, and other centralized resources.
- Proactively contribute best practices, tips, and templates to shared User Experience Design resources.
- Keep a pulse on team morale, escalating risks to leadership and identifying opportunities for improvement.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or another technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience in managing multiple projects.
- Experience working with design teams and have a solid understanding of the general design workflow.
- Experience improving team productivity and creating efficiencies through automation and tools development.
- Preferred experience working with user research; ability to champion and coordinate user research efforts within your product group.
- Interpersonal & communication skills:
- Ability to establish trust and confidence of cross-functional core team.
- Ability to distinguish critical from non-critical issues and set teams focus and priorities accordingly.
- Ability to break down issues to key fundamentals and drive team toward corrective action plan.
- Ability to relate to and inspire the team.
- Ability to establish productive relationships with each member of the team with an understanding of each individual’s motivations and priorities that factor into the decision process.
- Ability to organize cross-functional activities into a complete plan, recognizing interdependencies, and establishing framework for the team to build out the plan and mentoring the execution of that plan.
- Ability to coach others and champion member value.
- Recognizes the audience of the communication, organizes, and factors in appropriate content accordingly.
- Ability to handle ambiguity, setting goals and effectively delivering to them in very fast-changing environment
- Ability to manage up, down and sideways.
$65-$75 per hour San Francisco, CA 94105 6 Month Assignment