Creative | Burbank, CA | Part Time, Contract, and Temporary
Copy Editor 808164
Seeking a quick-thinking freelance part-time p.m. copy editor to handle copy editing in the fast-paced news environment of the company website. Our mission is to increase unique visitors to the site and audience retention through the quick publication of exclusive breaking news items, and we require a speedy and detail-oriented copy editor to help us achieve our goal.
- Copy edit every story that is published on the company website during the evening shift, which ranges from 15-20 nightly, as well as occasional reading of scripts for video production and long-form pieces.
- Work with editors to prioritize the workflow of exclusive and breaking news stories.
- Assist in the incorporation of any changes to copy as dictated by the legal team.
- Maintain a consistent brand tone and style in the copy.
- Assess linked articles to increase reader retention on the site.
- Available for occasional work on weekends or as backfill on the day shift.
- We’re committed to working hard and holding ourselves accountable as we continue to improve the editorial side of the company website as we cover breaking news and the tentpole events of the year in the entertainment industry: awards season, the summer movie season and fall TV premiere season.
- Making fast, accurate choices to keep copy moving to publish in an environment with rolling deadlines.
- Working with staff and freelance writers on both a local and remote basis to ensure accuracy and consistent brand tone in their stories.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Experience working and editing in CMS systems
- Five years of copy-editing experience in a digital newsroom
- A love of pop culture and the ability to thrive in an environment that requires both speed and accuracy.
- An individual who is comfortable with giving feedback to writers on both line edits and overall structural changes to stories.
- Someone who can multitask and is flexible enough to reprioritize duties based on breaking news.
- An undeniable appetite and enthusiasm for working in an environment that can be different every day—and an unmistakable sense of urgency and ambition.
- A keen awareness of a digital media landscape that is constantly evolving and adapting as technology changes and audiences shift their attention and how that will affect our brand.
- The ability to keep your calm during a crisis. We’re committed to working hard and holding ourselves accountable but also encouraging the creative, competitive edge that naturally emerges when you actually love where you work.
This is a part-time opportunity with a schedule from Monday to Thursday from 4-9 PM PST.
$25-$30 per hour Burbank, CA 91505 6+ Month Assignment