Bathymetry Operations Manager
Bathymetry | Alameda, CA | Full Time
Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar powered autonomous surface vehicles called Saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale. We are working with governments, civic agencies, foundations, universities, and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas - be it in mapping out the ocean floor, collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, counting biomass to establish fishing quotas, or detecting and stopping illegal fishing and trafficking. We believe that better inputs in planetary models in turn yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing and climate change will have tremendous impact on humanity. We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital, and The Schmidt Family Foundation.
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing team at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
Saildrone is seeking an experienced, certified hydrographer to oversee all ocean mapping and coastal hydrographic surveys from mission planning through execution and product delivery. You will be part of a talented, collaborative team at the forefront of ocean mapping using uncrewed surface vehicles..
As a Bathymetry Operations Manager your primary responsibilities will include direct oversight of bathymetric and hydrographic survey operations, including mission cost estimation, mission planning, resource allocation, training and management of lead surveyors, and delivery of final products. Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinating and directing multiple field operations through all phases of survey execution.
- Communicating with customers and applicable Saildrone personnel regarding status of operations, assisting with troubleshooting, and resolving issues to ensure schedule and budget are maintained.
- Providing detailed mission planning to include time, cost and resource requirements
- Hiring, training, and scheduling in-house and contract surveyors to meet mission
- Serving as a member of a collaborative team for development and testing of new vehicles, sensors and procedures
- Working with Bathymetry Technical Program Manager and Bathymetry Data Manager to ensure mission success
- Keeping up to date on latest IHO and national data standards and survey procedures
- 10 or more years experience leading hydrographic/bathymetric survey teams as lead surveyor or project manager
- Demonstrated ability directing and overseeing offshore survey operations
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Hydrography, Oceanography, Geomatics, Remote Sensing or related discipline
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills
- Highly detailed/organized
- Interest and passion for new technology applications for ocean mapping
Desired Skills and Abilities
- Category A Hydrographer Certification
- NSPS-THSOA Certified Hydrographer
- Licensed as a Professional Land Surveyor or Engineer
- Experience using uncrewed surface vehicles or other autonomous systems for survey operations
Location: This position is remote friendly. Only candidates with proper permits to work in the United States can be considered.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents.
- Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft! (once COVID safety allows)
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced paternity / maternity programs
- Competitive benefits including excellent medical, discounted gym, life insurance, 401k plan
Catch up on the latest news about us:
- Who is going to map the high seas? (Hydro International Aug 2021)
- Saildrones are mapping the oceans (CNET May 2021)
- Gulfstream (April 2021)
- Saildrone Surveyor Launch (Jan 2021)
- Four autonomous vessels sailed the Arctic to more precisely map its seafloor(Oct 2020)
- Coast Guard Begins At-Sea Testing of Unmanned Surface Vehicles to Tackle Illegal Fishing, Crime (Oct 2020)
- Five Ways Saildrone’s ‘Satellites Of The Seas’ Could Transform Mauritius Oil Spill Response (Sept 2020)
- Due to COVID-19, NOAA Uses Drones Instead of Ships for Fishery Survey (June 2020)
- Or watch some of our videos: Bloomberg: The Robots Roaming the High Seas
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
In accordance with Saildrone’s mandatory employee COVID-19 vaccination policy, please be advised that all employees are required to be vaccinated to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors and the community at large.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.