Lead Combat Designer
Game Development - OC Studio | Irvine, CA | Full Time
Lead Combat Designer
Nexon is expanding aggressively into the western gaming market with a new development studio in Orange County California. We are building a workplace based on mutual respect, good humor, and the pursuit of excellence because we believe that great games can only be built by amazing people. Our vision is to create high quality, innovative online games that create unforgettable experiences for players around the world.
Nexon has a worldwide team of over 5,500 employees and a diverse global portfolio. If you want to help chart the course of a brand new development studio, let’s talk!
In this role, you will be responsible for the creating an epic melee pvp combat experience with the Game Director. Our ideal candidate will have a passion for melee combat and fighting games with previous leadership experience working on AAA titles.
What you'll be doing:
- Work with team leadership to set direction for combat development.
- Design systems for online multiplayer competitive interaction.
- Work with other departments to ensure Design supports a deep player experience.
- Come up with innovative ways to solve problems quickly to unblock other teams.
- Grow and mentor other designers.
- Act as a player advocate to ensure the highest level of playability, and visual excitement.
- Help define and maintain the standards for design with the Game Director
- Design combat systems for a fun and balanced combat experience.
- Give constructive feedback regarding game features, and be able to accept feedback in kind.
What you'll need:
- Thorough knowledge of combat game mechanics and design standards.
- Deep action combat experience
- Able to develop and champion a strong design vision for a game system from concept to completion.
- Outstanding self-motivation and initiative.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to work well in a team environment.
- Able to work creatively in a demanding technical environment.
- Must be able to deliver systems and features to a high standard of quality.
- Strong ability to analyze and adapt designs based on feedback and data.
- Able to own combat features, including design documentation, planning, and testing.
- Quickly adapt to new tools, technologies and development methodologies.
- Designed, developed, and shipped major game systems.
- 7+ years of experience making games.
- Experience in Unreal Editor 4.
- Programming or Scripting Experience.
- Blueprint Experience in Unreal.
Nexon's Benefits & Perks:
We offer medical, dental and vision plans for you, your spouse or domestic partner and your children. Employees who enroll in the high deductible health plan receive an annual employer contribution to a health savings account and company paid hospital indemnity benefits. We also provide company paid life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability benefits as well as access to voluntary life and AD&D for yourself and your dependents, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) savings plan with a company match, and pet insurance. Nexies are encouraged to take advantage of our monthly wellness credit, participate in lunchtime yoga, and enroll in language classes. We host bi-monthly catered lunches, monthly happy hours, and maintain a well-stocked snack bar. To help you maintain a good work life balance, we offer paid time off, sick days, company holidays, and a year-end break.
Nexon is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.