Special Assistant: Education
Special Assistants | Triangle, VA | Part Time
Working at the National Museum of the Marine Corps, the Education Special Assistant will work with National Museum of the Marine Corps (NMMC) Education staff to support visiting schools, teachers, homeschool groups, and summer camp programs.
The position is limited to 29 hours per week with a term not to exceed three years. The position requires evening and weekend shifts that vary from week to week.
- Greet and monitor school groups
- Provide an overview of the museum exhibits and directs groups
- Assist with presenting content to school groups, homeschools students, summer camp participants, and adult learners
- Set up supplies, handouts, etc., for educational programs
- Help with curriculum development
- Assist with educational special events
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience interacting with the general public including groups
- Teaching experience with K-12 students or adult learners is a plus
- Education and/or experience creating and presenting educational content
- Attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task and manage time effectively
- Good interpersonal skills
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Interest in the US Marine Corps, military history and/or American history
Physical Requirements: The environmental factors and/or physical requirements of this position include the following: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to have ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; and the ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of 10-20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard. The employee frequently is required to be in one position for long periods of screen use, reach with hands and arms, and talk and hear both in person and over devices. The employee interacts in close spaces and frequently with other workers, vendors, and guests. May be in situations which require conflict resolution. The position works in a museum environment with artificial light and air.
The Marine Corps Heritage Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.