Senior Director of Operations
Administration | Beaverton, OR | Full Time
Lumencor, Inc., based in Beaverton, Oregon, manufactures high-performance solid state lighting subsystems, "light engines," for bioanalytical instruments, medical devices, life science research tools and industrial applications like wafer defect inspection devices, quality control, and metrology. Products are sold worldwide to equipment manufacturers (OEMs), distributors, laboratories, individual researchers and industrial leaders. The company is seeking a Senior Director of Operations to join Lumencor leadership team.
Job Summary: The Director of Operations oversees the management of all manufacturing operations department leaders, namely Manufacturing, Procurement, Information Technology (IT), Quality, Service and Training. The role is designed to ensure that manufacturing operations conforms to the company’s annually updated business plan and budget, as determined by the Executive Team. Success is measured by the degree to which Lumencor’s production team can provide for the needs of our customers with the best quality products and services, delivered in a timely manner. The Director should foster a cooperative team environment where innovation and problem solving are supported and every individual feels pride in their contributions. This position requires collaboration across the organization to deliver operational excellence and facilitate ongoing quality improvements.
This is not a remote position; a successful candidate will be working in our office in Beaverton, OR.
- Direct and manage all department heads of manufacturing, quality, supply chain, production training, service and IT operations to ensure operation towards production aligned with established manufacturing objectives and goals.
- Provide strategic direction, vision, and leadership to direct reports including coaching, mentoring, staff development, and performance management.
- Develop strategies and initiatives to support established productivity and quality objectives.
- Establish and utilize key performance indicators based on SMART goals for measuring performance in the areas of quality, safety, cost, capacity, operational efficiency and staff productivity.
- Direct enterprise IT objective and scale IT infrastructure to meet the needs of a growing team of local and remote staff.
- Direct the development and deployment of IT service platforms and deliverables including the support and administration of multiple databases.
- Ensure that, as the company grows, manufacturing capabilities meet or exceed all industry and customer requirements for cost, quality and responsiveness.
- Work with department directors in developing capital expenditure strategies which improve efficiencies and foster cost savings.
- Develop and champion business continuity planning within manufacturing.
- Communicate ongoing business climate changes impacting manufacturing and supply chain to the Executive Team.
- Oversee production resources and processes while maintaining established corporate metrics for quality and on-time delivery and safety standards.
- Initiate and manage continuous improvement projects to resolve production challenges and advance efficiencies.
- Manage, mentor and challenge a Manufacturing Operations Team of directors, managers and individual contributors.
- Work with management to assess current staffing and plan for future staffing needs, including development and management of training programs. Maintain a level of industry knowledge through participation in industry associations and independent research.
- Ensure all aspects of the operation meet requirements from purchase of raw materials to customer delivery.
- Champion continuous improvement of business systems and processes to enhance efficiency and scalability, resolving obstacles that may hinder your team from on-time delivery.
- Provide effective leadership for the organization through a demonstration of experience, and judgment that promotes a culture of transparency, accountability and operational excellence.
- A 4-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in Mechanical, Industrial or Process Engineering or a directly related field.
- 5 years experience in leadership position responsible for progressive, efficient manufacturing operations in moderate volume manufacturing environment, preferably in precision optics or lighting.
- Demonstrated leadership, including strategic decision making, in the Manufacturing Operations of complex electro‐mechanical devices, 6S, Lean, or other TQM process improvement.
- Demonstrated leadership in leveraging world class ERP, PLM, MES tools to optimize capacity planning, material movement, manufacturing floor management, and reporting required.
- Demonstrated ability in systems/process development and improvement to enhance performance and scalability.
- Demonstrated knowledge ISO 9001 standards.
- Proactive, self-sufficient, creative and collaborative work style.
- Excellent communication skills.
- MS or MBA
- At Lumencor, our standards are high. We continually push to deliver the best lighting solutions the industry has ever seen. We do this by relying on the talent and ingenuity of our staff. Our Information Technology team members are industry professionals who understand their professional efforts result in success for their team and the company. We look for people who can think critically and creatively; people who can dream big and act responsibly as they push past boundaries in an ethical and collaborative manner. Lumencor found its beginnings in challenging the status quo by recognizing and executing on the very best of what is possible; this fundamental quality permeates through the culture of the company to this day.
If this describes the type of team you would like to be a part of, we want to speak with you!
Lumencor believes in a healthy work environment for all employees, and fosters teamwork and respect for others while adhering to ethical work practices. We offer a full package of employees health, dental and vision insurance as well as many other perks. Our working culture rewards effort and success while embracing imagination and diversity. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Lumencor requires all current and future employees to be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 including booster shot as a condition of hire unless they are eligible for accommodation under applicable law.