Principal Functional Safety Engineer
Engineering | Newark, CA | Full Time | From $190,000.00 to $220,000.00 per year
At FreeWire we fundamentally change the way businesses and utilities electrify. We build battery-based energy storage systems that provide clean and quiet power anywhere it’s needed, reducing the cost and accelerating deployment of electric vehicle charging infrastructure. FreeWire’s solutions are evolving from providing ultrafast EV charging services to a full suite of energy services to accelerate sustainable electrification and provide resiliency to customers and a distributed power source to utilities. FreeWire has secured major strategic investors from Fortune 100 companies and serves leading corporate, utility, and retail customers. The feedback on the Boost Charger, FreeWire’s DC fast charger, has been overwhelmingly positive as we electrify locations that would have been too expensive to power on using conventional charging solutions. Utilities are releasing RFPs with requests for battery backed solutions, their regulatory teams are including our technology as eligible for incentives, and they are seeking cost effective solutions as they electrify their fleets and provide utility owned charging solutions for the public.
FreeWire has deployed battery-integrated chargers with Fortune 100 companies, commercial customers, fleets, retail locations, and gas stations. In addition to its partnership with bp pulse, FreeWire and ampm, a bp subsidiary and convenience store chain with over 1,000 locations, have already deployed multiple public charging stations in the U.S. FreeWire’s regulatory affairs and policy team keeps customers up to date on federal, state, and utility incentive opportunities, which in some cases cover up to 80% of the cost of the charging station, and the company recently announced that the Boost Charger is Buy America compliant. Learn more at www.freewiretech.com and follow us @FreeWireTech.
Principal Functional Safety Engineer
- Define, plan, and complete Functional Safety work products as related to EVSE over the full safety lifecycle, performing safety analysis of internally designed electronic hardware and software sub-systems
- Reporting of safety-critical issues to project and line management
- Document all relevant safety requirements, analysis, architecture implementation, verification, and validation for each sub-system, which make up the overall safety system, and demonstrate conformance to the international Functional Safety standards
- Liaise with suppliers for SW and HW of Control Systems/Components
- Define and maintain Development Interface Agreements with suppliers
- Support Purchasing and Quality department in sourcing equipment suitable for use in safety applications
- Prepare and present technical reports and briefings
- Align FreeWire functional safety processes with industry developments with respect to the application of functional safety to battery energy storage systems
- All other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Engineering
- Proficiency in ISO26262 standard, or other relevant functional safety standards e.g. ISO13849 or the parent standard IEC61508
- Functional Safety Certification (e.g., CFSP or CFSE, TuV FS-Eng, or FS-Expert), with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in the field of functional safety
- Knowledge of controls systems, ECU hardware and embedded software development (V-Cycle)
- Experience with tools and methodologies for safety analyses (e.g. HARA – Hazard Analysis and Risk Assessment, FTA - Fault Tree Analysis, FMEA - Failure Mode Effect Analysis, FMEDA - Failure modes, effects, and diagnostic analysis, DFA - Dependent Failures Analysis)
- Knowledge of Requirements and SW development management tools (e.g. GIT, Confluence, CircleCI, and Jira)
- Ability to understand electrical system architecture and communication protocols (CAN, MOD, Ethernet)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Pronounced problem-solving skills, solution-oriented thinking, analytical skills
- Teamwork skills, social skills, leadership skills, and assertiveness
- Ability to work at a desk for extended periods of time
- Please note that this job description is not exhaustive and may be subject to changes or amendments to meet the evolving needs of the company. Thus, this position may include responsibilities or duties not specifically stated, but which may be deemed necessary.
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive and may be subject to changes or amendments to meet the evolving needs of the company. Thus, this position may include responsibilities or duties not specifically stated, but which may be deemed necessary.
FreeWire offers competitive benefits, including:
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- Dog Friendly
We provide compensation packages that include base pay, benefits, and equity, and it is not typical for someone to be hired at the top end of the range for the role. Actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including location, skills, and experience level.
At FreeWire Technologies, we offer fair and equal opportunities to all our candidates and team members regardless of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual identity, national origin, citizenship, marital status, disability status, parental status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law. FreeWire Technologies believes in hiring individuals only based on their qualifications and experiences that meet our business requirements to fill the positions.