Sr. UX Researcher
Product Design & Advertising | Santa Monica, CA | Full Time
At Edmunds we’re driven to make car buying easier. Ever since we began publishing printed car guides in the 60’s, the company has been in the business of trust, innovating ways to empower and support car shoppers. When Edmunds launched the car industry’s first Internet site in 1994, we established a leadership position online and have never looked back. Now, as one of the most trusted review sites on the Internet, millions of visitors use our research, shopping and buying tools every month to make an easy and informed decision on their next car. For consumers, we bring peace of mind. For dealers, we make tools to help them solve their problems and sell more cars. How do we do it, you ask? The key ingredients are our enthusiastic employees, progressive company culture and cutting-edge technology. Want to join the team? Read on to find out how!
What You’re Applying For:
Our Research team works hand-in-hand with the design, product, strategy, and marketing teams in a vibrant and innovative environment, focusing on studies that have the most impact to our business objectives and corporate mission. We’re heavily focused on customer-driven growth, which means identifying what’s most important to our customers as a tool for growing the business.
We are responsible for all types of user and market research, including design research/ethnography, interviews and focus groups, onsite and remote usability testing, usability benchmarking, and surveys for both Edmunds shoppers and our dealer partners.
What You’ll Do:
- Inspire product owners to create the ultimate car shopping experience by conveying customer and dealer needs and pain points learned through research. You’ll provide actionable insights from a cross-section of research focused around customer-driven growth.
- Make it easy for product owners and designers to try out their work-in-progress with real car shoppers and dealer partners. You’ll listen to them describe what they want to know about customers and work collaboratively with them to translate what you hear into a study.
- Manage multiple ongoing projects start to finish, attending to details along the way from evaluating the type of research needed based on a set of objectives, to creating a test plan, recruiting participants, conducting the research, analyzing results, and reporting.
- Where applicable, partner with market researchers to run quantitative survey research: write and program surveys, interpret data,and construct a story from it.
- Mentor and guide junior researchers and others not familiar with the research process to grow their skills and evangelize the value of user feedback.
What You Need:
- 5+ years of research experience in a consumer-focused, digital environment. Can be client side, at a research/design agency, or as a contractor/independent researcher. Specific skills include:
- Planning, executing, and reporting on all major types of user experience research including: design/ethnographic research, qualitative usability studies (remote and in-person, moderated and unmoderated), heuristic analysis, usability benchmarking, surveys, and personas.
- Great analytical skills - you can dig into mounds of data, organize it, identify trends, provide insights, work with the product and design teams to identify recommendations and see those ideas through into product changes.
- Experience with other types of market research (e.g., quantitative methods, focus groups, panel/community management) a plus.
- You’re personable and comfortable working closely on small teams. You play nice with others and have the confidence to be a fully participating member of a team. You’re a creative thinker and will find ways to communicate your ideas and recommendations in a way that they’ll be received well, while maintaining the stance of a user advocate.
- You like working in fast-paced environment on multi-disciplinary project teams. You’re an enthusiastic self-starter who has an up-to-date understanding of trends in usability research including remote testing, Design Thinking, Lean, customer journey mapping, etc.
- Degree in Human Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, Psychology, Anthropology, Cognitive Science, Human Factors, Marketing/Business or another relevant field.
Working @ Edmunds.com:
Employees think it’s a pretty great place to work and some pretty impressive publications think it is too: we have been recognized as one of the best places to work by the Fortune Magazine and Great Places to Work, LA Business Journal (for the last 6 years!), Computerworld, and Built in LA. We've also been identified as one of the best workplaces specifically in Technology and also for Diversity and Asian Americans. In fact, our CEO, Avi Steinlauf, was rated as one of Glassdoor's Highest Rated CEOs! If you’re interested in learning more and joining our mission, we’d love to hear from you!
Edmunds will consider for employment qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of all applicable laws.