Director of Finance, Operations, and HR
Executive | San Francisco, Bay Area, CA | Full Time
POSITION: Director of Finance, Operations, and HR
LOCATION: Remote, must be located in California with preference for driving distance to extended San Francisco Bay Area and occasional travel required
JOB TYPE: Full-time, exempt
REPORTS TO: CEO
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, July 5, 2022
BACKGROUND & OVERVIEW
Americans are facing interconnected human health, planet, and equity crises. One of the top solutions for these massive issues is redesigning our food system starting with schools and youth. Eat REAL does this by helping kids solve these challenges and learn to love REAL food for the well-being of people and our planet.
Eat REAL transforms food in K-12 schools, creating a healthier next generation and planet. The nonprofit works with school food service leaders to raise the bar through its Eat REAL Certification program’s nutrition and sustainability best practices. The 501(c) (3) has certified >500 partners nationwide and Eat REAL’s core K-12 program supports >350 schools to equitably increase access to real food for >200,000 students with a waitlist for its program. The organization builds awareness of the value of REAL food and does advocacy as well as policy change.
Eat REAL is a Richmond, California based award-winning nonprofit on a mission to help kids have access to healthy, delicious, and sustainable food so every child can flourish.
The Director of Finance, Operations, and HR will report to the CEO and lead the organization’s finance, operations, and human resources (HR) efforts. This person will expand and continue to build the necessary infrastructure for our organization to further scale our collective impact. Reporting to the CEO, they will partner with the CEO, Marketing Team, Program/Impact Team, Development Team, and Board of Directors to contribute to an organization where success is defined by the excellence of our work, the quality of our work environment, our growth, and most importantly, our impact in transforming the quality of food for our nation’s children. This position will supervise 1 or more supporting roles and work across the organization to strengthen the nonprofit to ultimately support its award-winning program and impact.
The essential duties and responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to the following:
Oversee Finance, Operations, and HR Department
- Oversee, organize and prioritize all finance, operations, and HR functions, supporting day to day operations, initiatives, and cross-functional efforts based on organization's impact needs to meet its strategic goals and objectives
- Serve as a key member of the organizational leadership team to support CEO in delivering Eat’s REAL’s mission and work collaboratively with CEO and all other departments/stakeholders to expand, update and fulfill the strategic plan of the organization.
- Support Finance/Ops/HR team members, as the department grows, to achieve their goals, love their jobs, contribute to a strong team and develop in their careers
- Lead and partner with supporting team member(s) to maintain accurate records and controls over Eat REAL’s finances, establishing updated policies and protocols where needed
- Provide key monthly, quarterly, and annual organizational reporting in support of CEO’s and Board of Directors’ information needs, evolving approach as business needs require
- In partnership with the CEO, design and implement nonprofit business and financial strategies. Be adept in financial analysis and modeling including leading annual and multi-year budget creation process
- Partner closely with development and program teams to deliver on complex grant administration requirements as well as develop grant budgets
- Review, update, and manage the organization’s legal policies, documents, and contracts across the organization, contractors, volunteers, and Board members
- Provide day-to-day operations leadership and support to Eat REAL, ensuring compliance with organization policy, best business practices, and federal/state governmental regulatory guidelines, as well as improving operational processes and infrastructure
- Update annual and multi-year planning processes, engage team, and support CEO in their management and execution
- Oversee IT infrastructure and continuous improvement by managing and growing current technology (all administrative and team applications/systems) as well as developing policies and trainings to bring clarity, boost security, and support team members to achieve their goals
- Further develop and oversee Eat REAL’s human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance management, training, and recruiting.
- Update and manage integration of team values, policies, and initiatives to foster a work environment in alignment with organizational commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Minimum of 5-7 years of Finance/Operations/HR experience, including team management supervisory experience, with demonstrated experience in a nonprofit organization
- Ability to bring new energy, fresh thinking, and innovative ideas to the cross-functional creation of short and long-term department strategy, proactive problem solving, and the implementation of key initiatives as well as reporting
- Excellent interpersonal, proactive communication, and presentation skills; Able to communicate effectively and professionally internally and externally.
- An energetic self-starter and team player with a “can do” and “hands on” attitude
- High integrity with excellent judgment, an ability to act with detailed accuracy, diplomacy, and discretion at all organizational levels, and work with a wide range of information
The above is an overview of responsibilities and as needs arise this can change and there can be miscellaneous responsibilities.
SCHEDULE & WORK ENVIRONMENT
Our office is located in Richmond, CA with the team currently working remotely. This position will be based in California, work remotely and require occasional travel primarily within California. Work schedule is flexible with availability during standard business hours expected as well as occasional evenings or weekend hours for special events and meetings.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
This position is a full-time, exempt, salaried position. Eat REAL offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and benefits including generous PTO, paid family leave, health insurance, and a 401(k) plan, as well as a home office stipend.
Eat REAL is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment in our organization and in our work. Every day we strive to create a healthier future for our colleagues, communities, and planet.