Financial Planning & Analysis Manager
Finance | North East, MD | Full Time
Founded in 1968 to meet the post-secondary and continuing education needs of Cecil County residents, Cecil College has been serving the community and shaping its future for nearly 50 years. The College is governed by a Board of Trustees appointed by the governor. The College’s fifth president, Dr. Mary Way Bolt, reports directly to the Board of Trustees.
Cecil College is centrally located in Maryland’s most northeastern county, just one half mile from Interstate 95. It is easily accessible from Philadelphia and Baltimore, as well as from Wilmington, Delaware.
With a diverse student population, Cecil College enrolls approximately 2,500 credit students and 3,400 non-credit students. Cecil offers associate degrees, certificate programs and non-credit classes. Cecil offers a variety of associate degree and certificate programs.
Through its open admissions policy, Cecil College provides learning opportunities for all who have the desire and ability to benefit from its courses and programs, regardless of age, gender, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, or socioeconomic status.
Reporting to the Controller and working cross-functionally among the College divisions, the position portfolio of responsibilities include budgeting and forecasting, financial reporting, the capital budget, expenditure evaluation and control, accounts payable, fund accounting, grant management, charitable foundation accounting/reporting, and operational risk management.
- Perform analyses on the financial/accounting implications of major decisions and issues facing the College. Use financial analysis tools, such as decision analysis, to evaluate College programs, initiatives, and capital expenditures. Evaluate planned and proposed initiatives by identifying outcomes and potential returns. Recommends financial actions by assessing options in relation to organization goals.
- Establish, implement, and maintain accounting policies and control procedures, including internal audits, controls and checks across all departments to protect the assets of the College and ensure the integrity and timely recording and reporting of financial information.
- Prepares financial reports by collecting, formatting, analyzing, and explaining information.
- Manage the annual budget process (Revenue and expense, Operating and Capital).
- Supervision of the Accounts Payable function.
- Ownership of the ERP financial reporting coding structure(s) and data.
- Manages periodic forecasts, including the identification, reporting, and resolution of opportunities and risks.
- Manages the College insurance program and risk mitigation processes.
- Participate in development and implementation of accounting strategies and activities; including implementation of new accounting standards and systems, driving initiatives that improve control and/or create operational efficiencies.
- Analyze proposed legislation, regulations, and accounting standards to determine financial impact on the College, including recommendations for implementation.
- Guiding financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing publications.
- Willingness to travel to other college campuses in and around the state of Maryland.
- Other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required. Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 5 years of progressive financial experience that includes some elements of financial reporting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, accounting policy, budgeting and forecasting
- CPA and/or CMA license preferred.
- Broad knowledge of higher education including academic operations, marketing, finance, funding sources, regulation and risk management preferred.
- Experience maintaining and using an Enterprise Resource Planning solution, specifically the finance and accounting component (The College ERP is Jenzabar).
- Nonprofit or governmental accounting experience preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Advanced level proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Fully conversant with corporate and governmental accounting requirements and practices, including GAAP, FASB, GASB and effective budgeting and planning techniques preferred.
- Knowledge and capability to link planning and administrative activities to the strategic orientation and direction of the organization
- Must be able to effectively communicate financial information, via presentations in either written or verbal formats, to a variety of audiences
- Ability to independently learn and use multiple accounting software packages
- Ability to build strong relationships among all levels of the organization, including external partners, customers, and suppliers
- Strong analytical capability and the ability to formulate effective and actionable solutions
- Strong problem-solving, organization skills.
- Understanding of database maintenance and design
- Knowledge of statistical analysis
- Ability to perform research and compile reports
For best consideration, please apply by March 18, 2020.