VP / SVP - International, Business & Legal Affairs
Business & Legal Affairs | New York, NY | Full Time
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a professional membership organization of songwriters, composers and music publishers of every kind of music. ASCAP's mission is to license and promote the music of its members and foreign affiliates, obtain fair compensation for the public performance of their works and to distribute the royalties that it collects based upon those performances. ASCAP members write the world's best-loved music and ASCAP has pioneered the efficient licensing of that music to hundreds of thousands of enterprises who use it to add value to their business - from bars, restaurants and retail, to radio, TV and cable, to Internet, mobile services and more. The ASCAP license offers an efficient solution for businesses to legally perform ASCAP music while respecting the right of songwriters and composers to be paid fairly. With 600,000 members representing more than 10 million copyrighted works, ASCAP is the worldwide leader in performance royalties, service and advocacy for songwriters and composers, and the only American performing rights organization (PRO) owned and governed by its writer and publisher members. www.ascap.com
The Vice President / Senior Vice President for the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (“ASCAP”) in the Business and Legal Affairs Department will work on a variety of complex transactions and related matters specifically for ASCAP’s international business. This position is based in New York City, reports to the Executive Vice President and General Counsel of ASCAP and requires a significant amount of international business travel.
Areas of responsibility/accountability:
- Ability to multi-task to cover a high volume of deals and work independently to structure, negotiate and expeditiously close complex transactions is an absolute requirement.
- Advising the International Affairs team on legal issues arising in the course of collecting international royalties on behalf of ASCAP members and negotiating and counseling with respect to reciprocal agreements with performing rights/collective rights management organizations in other countries.
- Provide legal and policy advice and analysis with respect to global copyright matters.
- Extensive knowledge of the global entertainment/digital industry, international markets and related legal trends and business affairs practices.
- Structure, draft and negotiate joint ventures, strategic alliances, foreign reciprocal agreements with foreign entities, technology and new media related agreements, multi-territorial license and distribution agreements on all platforms (e.g., broadcast, cable, satellite and terrestrial radio, wireless, on-line etc.), confidentiality agreements, services agreements, acquisition agreements, member agreements, and advance agreements.
- Promote ASCAP’s strategic initiatives and projects with its affiliated performing rights societies globally.
- Advise and counsel the Head of International, International staff, as well as other possible client groups on a variety of complex business and legal matters.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Extensive and in-depth knowledge of international licensing and general corporate transactions including mergers and aquisitions & digital media required.
- Preferred experience in many of the following areas: global copyright, music related rights, international distribution, talent, licensing, entertainment, privacy, data, social networking and internet law.
- Qualified candidates should possess excellent drafting, negotiation and organizational skills. Qualified candidates must be willing and able to travel ex-US regularly for business.
- Managerial and training experience of other attorneys required.
- Ability to develop highly effective and productive working relationships externally and internally with senior executives throughout ASCAP.
- Excellent transactional drafting skills and ability to act as deal leader.
- Demonstrates the ability to analyze and synthesize information and devise alternative resolution strategies.
- A strong work ethic and a bias towards action, change, speed and revenue growth strategies.
- International work experience and second language fluency preferred.
- J.D. and minimum of ten years of relevant large law firm and/or in house entertainment or technology / distribution sector company experience required.
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
- A choice of either HMO or Point-of-Service (POS) medical and dental plans
- Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with match
- Generous time-off policy
- Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Long term disability insurance
- Basic life insurance, supplemental and dependent life insurance options
- Employer paid retirement savings program