Senior Data Analytics Manager
Data Strategy | New York, NY | Full Time
ASCAP is home to more than 800,000 music writer and publisher members across all genres - the greatest names in music, and thousands more in the early stages of their careers. We are the world leader in performance royalties, advocacy, and service for music writers and publishers, and are the only PRO in the US run by its members including songwriters, composers, and music publishers.
ASCAP resides at a unique crossroads of music industry datasets, capturing billions of data points annually from dozens of global sources including Apple, Spotify, Pandora, and YouTube. This is a unique opportunity to build and present in-depth analyses about what is happening in the music industry today to help shape how it will grow in the future. We are looking for an imaginative and creative individual, passionate about music and interested in finding new ways to leverage our data to better serve our writers and publishers.
As a member of the Data Strategy team, you will collaborate with all departments across ASCAP, data being a common language throughout. Reporting to the Director of Data Strategy you will be an analytics thought-leader in designing and developing innovative analyses to empower internal stakeholders to self-serve and make data-driven decisions faster and more effectively than ever before.
- Drive forward our self-service analytics mission by using a mix of SQL, modern business intelligence tools like Tableau, and Python to create data and analytics products that save stakeholders time or drive revenue.
- Lead mission-critical analyses that drive revenue-generating and/or highly impactful strategic initiatives throughout the organization
- Use Snowflake to mine big data, both complex and unique in its nature to derive new insights for stakeholders, which include upper management. Translate and present findings to demonstrate the value of these new insights
- Manage stakeholder expectations and competing priorities by thinking through the best ways to deliver incremental value while moving larger projects toward completion. We’re an Agile shop
- Work closely with a team of talented data engineers to brainstorm and implement creative ways to answer some of ASCAP’s most challenging questions that unlock new revenue and/or cost-saving opportunities
- You are an intellectually curious individual who enjoys asking questions. Not knowing an answer to a question bothers you, and you will stop at nothing to find a meaningful answer
- You have found effective and creative ways to quickly slice and pivot data for analytical purposes
- You are a thought-leader and self-starter who is constantly on the lookout for new opportunities to derive value from any given dataset. You are able to keep stakeholders’ needs front and center and can quickly demonstrate the value of a new opportunity with supporting data and analysis.
- You have a proven track record of generating charts and/or visualizations to highlight an insightful outcome. Furthermore, you can clearly articulate complex ideas to someone who might not have the same level of understanding about the data as you.
- While generating an analysis, you are able to thoroughly document the steps you took to arrive at the outcome and highlight any important caveats about the data along the way
- You take pride in being thorough as well as educating others to fully understand your approach to analysis and analytical outcome
- You find it fun to think critically and creatively with others in order to find solutions to challenging problems
- You have a passion for data and find yourself using it to defend your position or to support a new decision
- You love music and enjoy the idea of supporting music writers and publishers
- Technical expertise of an analytics engineer
- Fluent in SQL and comfortable writing queries that leverage advanced SQL notation; takes pride writing clean SQL
- Fluent in Python and comfortable writing Python to automate data workflows
- Experience with code management and version control
- Experience automating data flows using DRY coding techniques
- 3-5 years of proven and demonstrable experience building insightful reports and/or visualizations as well as analytical outputs
- Experience building dashboards and visualizations in Tableau or similar tools a must
- You are conceptually familiar with Big Data environments and comfortable with core data modeling concepts. Snowflake experience a plus
- Comfortable with metadata management and data quality concepts
What We Love About You:
- Curious: You are a lifelong learner and are driven to answer unanswered questions
- Hands-On: You are willing to get your hands dirty in order to accomplish the task at hand. You have a personal mantra of “there’s always a way…”
- Data-Driven: You leverage data to support your opinions and find that more detail is always preferable.
- Honest: You’re willing to admit you don’t know the answer or that you have made a mistake. You consider analysis a moral endeavor and strive to prepare truthful output independent of any potential consequence.
- Audible: You speak up when you disagree or don’t understand something. There are no rock stars. We want to hear what you think.
- Master of Your Craft: You take pride in your work and strive to learn more to hone your skills.
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
- Very generous time-off policy
Paid time off for approved volunteer events
- Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with an employer provided match
- An additional Employer paid retirement savings program regardless of your participation in the 401(k) Plan
- A choice of either network only provider medical and dental plans or more flexible medical and dental plans where you can see providers in or out-of-network
- Vision plan that offers both in and out- of network provider options
- Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Company provided basic life and AD&D insurance
- Supplemental and dependent life insurance options
- Pet Insurance, Legal Services and Identity Theft benefits offerings
- Employee Referral Bonuses
ASCAP is an equal opportunity employer. All ASCAP employment decisions are made on the basis of individual qualifications and performance and not on the basis of race, national origin, ethnicity, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, genetic information, disability, handicap, color, creed, religion, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.