Marketing and Communications | New York, NY | Full Time
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a professional membership organization of songwriters, composers and music publishers of every kind of music. ASCAP's mission is to license and promote the music of its members and foreign affiliates, obtain fair compensation for the public performance of their works and to distribute the royalties that it collects based upon those performances. ASCAP members write the world's best-loved music and ASCAP has pioneered the efficient licensing of that music to hundreds of thousands of enterprises who use it to add value to their business - from bars, restaurants and retail, to radio, TV and cable, to Internet, mobile services and more. The ASCAP license offers an efficient solution for businesses to legally perform ASCAP music while respecting the right of songwriters and composers to be paid fairly. With over 700,000 members representing more than 10 million copyrighted works, ASCAP is the worldwide leader in performance royalties, service and advocacy for songwriters and composers, and the only American performing rights organization (PRO) owned and governed by its writer and publisher members. www.ascap.com
ASCAP is seeking a dynamic, intelligent, highly organized “superstar” for the role of Manager, Communications on its fast-paced Marketing & Communications team. This position will play a vital part in ASCAP public relations, our biggest member events and songwriter advocacy efforts. Join the team of the only member-owned U.S. performance rights organization and help protect the rights and promote the careers of music creators — the heart and soul of the music industry.
This position will support ASCAP’s busy public relations function and its public affairs initiatives. They will be responsible for PR & Communications support for events and initiatives across ASCAP’s different departments and play a role in day-to-day management and measurement of core event publicity, advocacy campaigns and social media support.
The role requires superior communication, writing and organization skills, passion and enthusiasm for music, and the ability to go the extra mile when needed. The successful candidate will be able to transition seamlessly from project to project.
- Work closely with Senior Director of Public Relations and PR contractors on publicity campaigns for ASCAP member events
- Draft press releases, talking points, shot lists and various communications
- Contribute to communications and messaging for various PR and advocacy campaigns as well as generate newsletters, briefs and website content
- Manage website posting and final distribution of ASCAP press releases to PR Newswire and Cision
- Develop event support materials for top ASCAP executives
- Provide onsite PR support at ASCAP member events
- Compile ASCAP media and social media coverage and create reports for internal distribution
- Maintain marketing and communications calendar
- Research and maintain ASCAP member data by district and state to be used for various PR and advocacy strategic planning and special assignments
- Coordinate production and detailed logistics for departmental operations, special events and miscellaneous special projects
- Provide administrative support for public relations, advocacy initiatives, events and social media projects
- Provide PR & Communications support for all other events and initiatives across ASCAP departments (corporate, organizational, membership, licensing, strategy/product)
- Support Associate Director of Social Media on case-by-case basis on events, community management and content capture
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required; preferred concentration in a writing-focused subject area (e.g. English, Journalism, Communications, etc).
- 2 - 5 years of relevant work experience preferred, PR or journalism a plus
- Must be a proficient writer and have strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be a driven, highly organized individual who can manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Must be proactive and detail-oriented
- Knowledge and experience producing high level events
- Excellent people skills: Ability to deal with a variety of talent (many of whom are established/esteemed artists/creators) and interact with a wide range of industry personalities
- Well-versed with technology and ability to navigate amongst various CRM, government relations, advocacy, social media and communication platforms
- Experienced with Powerpoint, Excel and/or Google Sheets.
- Past experience with the music industry preferred
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
- A choice of either network only provider medical and dental plans or more flexible medical and dental plans where you can see providers in or out-of-network
- Vision plan that offers both in and out- of network provider options
- Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with an employer provided match
- An additional Employer paid retirement savings program regardless of your participation in the 401(k) Plan
- Generous time-off policy
- Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Short term disability Insurance / salary continuation and Long term disability insurance
- Company provided basic life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- Supplemental and dependent life insurance options