Director, Strategy, Partnerships, and Innovation
Strategy & Corporate Development | New York, NY | Full Time
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a professional membership organization of songwriters, composers and music publishers of every kind of music. ASCAP's mission is to license and promote the music of its members and foreign affiliates, obtain fair compensation for the public performance of their works and to distribute the royalties that it collects based upon those performances. ASCAP members write the world's best-loved music and ASCAP has pioneered the efficient licensing of that music to hundreds of thousands of enterprises who use it to add value to their business - from bars, restaurants and retail, to radio, TV and cable, to Internet, mobile services and more. The ASCAP license offers an efficient solution for businesses to legally perform ASCAP music while respecting the right of songwriters and composers to be paid fairly. With over 775,000 members representing more than 10 million copyrighted works, ASCAP is the worldwide leader in performance royalties, service and advocacy for songwriters and composers, and the only American performing rights organization (PRO) owned and governed by its writer and publisher members. www.ascap.com
This position is integral to the Strategy and Development team, which is responsible for the growth and competitive strategy of ASCAP, as well as for business development, product development, strategic partnerships, alliances / joint ventures, data strategy, administration services, and other key business functions. This position is based in New York City and reports directly to the Senior Vice President of Strategy and Business Development.
This highly visible role offers an opportunity to drive tangible change in a dynamic environment. This person will help drive and evolve the strategic planning process and implement new aspects of the strategic plan, support development of ASCAP’S new innovation initiative, establish a partner management function for existing strategic partners, and facilitate collaboration and execution against a range of cross-functional strategic initiatives. We are looking for an impact-driven team player, excited about developing a diverse set of strategic capabilities at the intersection of music, media, data and technology.
Areas of responsibility
- Develop new and existing initiatives, support structures, and processes for ASCAP Lab, a new innovation program at ASCAP, which cultivates new creative approaches to our organizational efforts, business, and industry. Collaborate with key internal experts as well as with external start-ups, accelerators, and investors to explore and launch new products, technologies, and businesses that align with and further ASCAP objectives.
- Drive an 18-member cross-functional innovation council to become effective change agents within the organization by managing a monthly council agenda and developing annual council programming and learning opportunities.
- Differentiate ASCAP and create internal and external momentum for partnership programs by establishing targets and partner management protocol.
- Accelerate ASCAP’s evolution by analyzing industry trends, the competitive landscape, growth opportunities and internal performance to help shape ASCAP strategy.
- Create clarity and alignment across the organization via the strategic planning process, including the management of quarterly strategic planning updates.
- Create concise presentation materials for Senior Management and the Board, which will simply and clearly summarize key finding of complex analyses associated with operating and broader based strategic initiatives.
- Formulate and conduct analyses to drive key strategic decisions, growth initiatives and business development opportunities.
- Play a key role in driving cross-departmental internal task forces that further internal initiatives (for example, licensing and data strategy).
- Lead strategic assessments of operational enhancement opportunities, optimizing the use of ASCAP’s resources and catalyzing new efficiencies and levels of effectiveness.
- At least 5 years’ experience from any combination of the following: top-tier management consulting firm, investment banking, and/or private equity firm. Alternatively, or additionally, prior experience within corporate development, business development or strategy groups within traditional media, digital media companies or relevant start-ups will also be strongly considered.
- Strong knowledge of entertainment/digital industry and related legal trends and business practices.
- Creative, strategic and analytical thinker with the ability to critically examine details and interpret the impact of key business drivers. Superior problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Extremely effective and efficient communicator to a wide audience range, on a cross-departmental basis internally as well as with external parties.
- Ability to create compelling presentations and design; ability to tailor messages for executive audiences.
- Strong project manager with the ability to form goals and follow through with internal and external parties.
- Proven ability to lobby stakeholders toward outcomes that positively affect a project or organization.
- A strong work ethic and a bias towards action, change, speed and productivity.
- Entrepreneurial tendencies with an impatience to make an impact.
- Expert level proficiency with PowerPoint and Microsoft Excel.
- Bonus points for candidates familiar with and connections to the startup, accelerator, or VC landscapes.
- Preferred: candidates with strong skill set in quantitative analysis, including financial modeling, economic analysis, and statistical analysis.
- BA and MBA strongly preferred.
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
- A choice of either network only provider medical and dental plans or more flexible medical and dental plans where you can see providers in or out-of-network
- Vision plan that offers both in and out- of network provider options
- Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with an employer provided match
- An additional Employer paid retirement savings program regardless of your participation in the 401(k) Plan
- Generous time-off policy
- Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Short term disability Insurance / salary continuation and Long term disability insurance
- Company provided basic life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- Supplemental and dependent life insurance options
ASCAP is an equal opportunity employer. All ASCAP employment decisions are made on the basis of individual qualifications and performance and not on the basis of race, national origin, ethnicity, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, genetic information, disability, handicap, color, creed, religion, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.