Scientist, In Vitro
Research | South San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Allogene Therapeutics is a biotechnology company with a mission to catalyze the next revolution in cancer treatment through the development of allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor T-cell (CAR T) therapy directed at blood cancers and solid tumors. Founded and led by former Kite Pharma executives who bring unrivaled clinical development acumen in cell therapy, Allogene is well-positioned to further the potential of allogeneic cell therapy for patients.
Allogeneic CAR T therapies are engineered from cells of healthy donors and stored for “off-the-shelf” use in patients. This approach eliminates the need to create personalized therapy from a patient’s own cells, simplifies manufacturing, and reduces the time patients must wait for CAR T treatment. The Allogene portfolio includes 16 pre-clinical T cell therapy assets and UCART19, an allogeneic CAR T therapy currently in Phase 1 development for the treatment of acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). Through its notable partnerships, Allogene leverages pioneering technology platforms, including TALEN® gene editing technology, to progress its portfolio of immuno-oncology therapies. Allogene, with headquarters in South San Francisco, California, is a Two River portfolio company formed with one of the largest Series A financings in biotechnology from an investment consortium which includes TPG, Vida Ventures, BellCo Capital, the University of California Office of the Chief Investment Officer, and Pfizer. For more information, please visit: www.allogene.com, follow @AllogeneTx on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Allogene Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated Scientist to conduct preclinical studies to evaluate the efficacy and safety of allogeneic CAR T cells. Specifically, the candidate will contribute to the development of in vitro and in vivo models to study the activity, persistence and rejection of allogeneic CAR T cells. The ideal candidate is an individual who is excited to take on new challenges in a dynamic start-up environment.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Design and execute in vitro and in vivo studies to support IND-enabling data packages.
- Perform studies to understand allogeneic CAR T cell activity, graft-versus-host disease and rejection.
- Test genetic modifications and lymphodepleting regimens that may enhance the persistence and antitumor activity of CAR T cells in the allogeneic environment.
- Collaborate with an innovative protein engineering group to design molecules or target cell types to enhance persistence.
- Stay abreast of latest scientific and technology advancements in the field.
- Present at group meetings and project team meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Position Requirements & Experience:
- Bachelors degree in Biology or related field with at least 5 years of experience or a Masters degree with at least 3 years of experience in an academic and/or industrial setting.
- Academic experience in molecular biology, cellular biology, or immunology.
- Knowledge and experience in CAR T-cell generation and phenotypic characterization is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with viral based systems (lentivirus, adenovirus, or murine retrovirus) to optimize transduction of mouse and human primary cells.
- Proficiency in immunological assays, including flow cytometry, cytokine release, cytotoxicity and proliferation assays, T cell isolation, MACS.
- Experience working with mice is required. Tumor inoculation and measurement, animal dosing (oral, s.c. and i.v.), blood and tissue collection, is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of software tools to support data analysis tasks (e.g., Prism, FlowJo, Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
- A willingness to learn and adopt new experimental skills as needed is essential.
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize effectively to deliver results within reasonably established timelines.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced small company environment with minimal direction and able to adjust workload based upon changing priorities
- Strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication are essential in this collaborative work environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
As an equal opportunity employer, Allogene Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact the careers email at www.allogene.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.