Head of Development
Clinical Development | South San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Allogene Therapeutics, with headquarters in South San Francisco, is a clinical-stage biotechnology company pioneering the development of allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor T cell (AlloCAR T™) therapies for cancer. Led by a management team with significant experience in cell therapy, Allogene is developing a pipeline of “off-the-shelf” CAR T cell therapy candidates with the goal of delivering readily available cell therapy on-demand, more reliably, and at greater scale to more patients. For more information, please visit www.allogene.com, and follow @AllogeneTx on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Position: Head of Development and Chief Medical Officer (SVP)
Allogene is seeking a leader to oversee and continue to develop the Clinical Development function. The leader of Clinical Development will have a pivotal role in the overall success of Allogene. This position will require active engagement in this strategic vision for the company. The role will entail operating in a fast-paced, highly dynamic environment with key company work partnerships including both internal and external stakeholders. Excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to work well with others will be essential. This will be a critical leadership role to manage the clinical development, clinical operations and biometrics functions reporting directly to the EVP of Research and Development.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provides functional leadership including hiring and managing a professional, high performing staff designed to meet the clinical requirements of a growing company
- Oversees the company’s clinical development function including clinical trials execution and data collection and analysis functions
- Manages the teams that are responsible for clinical trial execution including documentation of product trials, analysis and reporting to prepare documentation required for including in the company’s regulatory product approval applications, and other Health Authority documents
- Responsible for development of clinical protocols to support the company’s product strategy, data collection and management and final reports development in compliance with appropriate standard operating procedures, regulatory and medical standards
- Interacts with various groups within the company and external to the business to oversee clinical research activities
- Oversees the benefit:risk of all products in development
- Other duties as assigned
Requirements & Experience:
- M.D. required with preference towards board certification/specialization in Hematology and Oncology
- At least 10 years in a progressive leadership experience in Clinical Development in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical company focused on oncology
- Demonstrated track record of successfully managing people, especially physicians, gained over at least 5 years in the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Proven oncology clinical development strategist with experience designing, implementing and conducting clinical trials
- History of successful participation in BLAs or NDAs
- History of working with cancer immunology drugs
- History of working in Adoptive Cell Therapy preferred
- Demonstrated ability to plan, execute and deploy drug development strategic plans, to develop contingency plans, to provide technical and strategic advice, and to meet milestones and budgets
- Proven leadership abilities and broad knowledge of the areas of technical expertise covered by the line function
- Ability to lead and motivate the clinical team along with the rest of the development team and the organization as whole by personifying managerial courage, integrity and trust
- Demonstrated ability to successfully interact with regulatory health authorities
- Ability to effectively work in a fast-paced, start-up environment, while dealing with ambiguity
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to multi-task and handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize effectively to deliver results within reasonably established timelines
- Strong interpersonal skills including relationship building, conflict resolution, and verbal and written communication are essential in this collaborative work environment
- Able to interface with external parties such us investigators, vendors, investors, and other audiences as needed
- Excellent collaborative skills across the organization
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
As an equal opportunity employer, Allogene Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws.