Genomics Assay Development-Intern Summer 2023
Internships | South San Francisco, CA | Internship | From $25.00 to $28.00 per hour
About Allogene Therapeutics, Inc:
Allogene Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biotechnology company with a single-minded focus on pioneering the development of investigational allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor T cell (AlloCAR T™) products for cancer. Led by world-class management with significant experience in cell therapy, our fully integrated, in-house team of researchers is dedicated to discovery and translational research, development, and cell manufacturing.
At Allogene, we are developing a pipeline of off-the-shelf CAR T cell candidates, with the goal of delivering readily available cell therapy faster, more reliably, and at greater scale to more patients. For more information, please visit www.allogene.com, and follow @AllogeneTx on Twitter and LinkedIn.
About the role:
This 12-week internship will focus on the development of novel molecular technology with the goal of providing valuable insights into methods for interrogating nucleic acid samples. The intern will gain extensive experience in next-generation sequencing (NGS) assay development, optimization, and troubleshooting, and become familiar with the fundamentals of additional cutting-edge technologies and experimental design strategies. Interns will meet periodically with members of the Genomics and Next Generation Sequencing Team to discuss project milestones, progress, and results. Interns will summarize their findings at the end of the project and present to their peers and mentors at Allogene.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work with supervisor to advance adoption of new methodologies and drive forward assay advancement
- Collaborate with team to enlighten product and process knowledge of sequencing platform technologies and assay design strategy
- Extract, amplify, and assess quality of nucleic acid samples
- Generate DNA and RNA libraries for use in next generation sequencing (NGS) assays
- Troubleshoot experiments, experimental design, and more
- Maintain excellent experimental documentation in paper and electronic laboratory notebooks
- Light exposure to data analysis platforms (R, JMP, IGV) or programming languages is ideal but not required
- Other duties as assigned
Position Requirements & Experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree (completed or ongoing) in biology, biochemistry, genetics, bioinformatics, biostatistics or related field required (or relevant experience)
- 0+ years of experience in similar role in biotechnology industry
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize effectively to deliver results within reasonably established timelines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication are essential in this collaborative work environment.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
We offer a chance to work with talented people in a collaborative environment. The expected rate range for this role is $25.00 - $28.00 per hour Actual pay will be determined based on experience, qualifications, geographic location, business needs, and other job-related factors permitted by law.
As an equal opportunity employer, Allogene is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. We also embrace differences in experience and background, and welcome diversity of opinions and thought with active recruitment and internships designed to create a stronger and better Allogene that is focused on developing life-changing products for patients.
Please be aware that the FBI recently issued a warning about an increased number of fake job postings for remote work employment that target applicants' personally identifiable information. All approved Allogene Therapeutics positions are accessible via the Allogene Careers page at www.allogene.com/careers.