Portland, OR | Technical Operations
Department: Technical Operations - Training
Reports to: Technical Training Director
Location: Portland, OR (remote within US may be considered)
Summary of Role
Do you enjoy working with system admins, developers, and engineers to teach critical skills required for sysadmins and engineers to be successful? Want to help us roll out courses that support a brand new certification program eagerly anticipated in the industry? Excited about what Puppet is doing and want to be a part of it?
We are hiring Technical Instructors to deliver and evaluate instructional classroom events for customer training courses to support our technical products. In this role, you will demonstrate and utilize effective needs analysis, project management, training delivery and evaluation skills, and evaluate remote and face to face delivery mechanisms for technical training courses for both internal and external audiences. You’ll utilize multimedia technology and delivery tools, and act as a liaison with our Instructional Designer and Professional Services Engineers in determining needs of the training audiences and appropriate methods of delivery.
- Bachelor's degree in Education, Instructional Design, or related area.
- Minimum 3 years’ of relevant software training delivery and/or instructional design experience.
- Experience delivering training through online media, downloadable media, etc. and generating videos, pod/webcasts, and graphics for use in classroom-based training.
- Experience working with Professional Services in an open source or enterprise software company.
- Experience with Puppet and/or other configuration management tools.
- Linux/Unix sysadmin and customer support experience.
- Excitement about working with technical audiences and working with Puppet.
- Passion for customer training.
- Strong customer relations & presentation skills.
- Self-motivated and self-directed, with excellent time and project management skills
- Ability to travel 50-75% (domestic & international).
Preferred but not required:
- Knowledge synchronous virtual classroom technologies
With your online application, please include a cover letter addressing the following:
1. Describe key methods you’d use to measure the effectiveness of course deliveries.
2. Describe the worst classroom delivery you’ve conducted or witnessed. What did you learn from the experience?
3. Describe your approach and strategy for delivering a customer training curriculum. How do you analyze the needs of an attending training audience?.
Include a list of references as well.
Working for Puppet Labs
Based in Portland, Oregon, Puppet Labs creates IT automation software which enables system administrators to deliver the operational agility and efficiency of cloud computing at enterprise-class service levels, scaling from handfuls of nodes on-premise to tens of thousands in the cloud. Puppet powers thousands of companies, including Twitter, Yelp, eBay, Zynga, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Google, Disney, Citrix, Oracle, and Viacom. Our investors include Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, True Ventures, Radar Partners, Emerson St. Partners, VMware, Google Ventures, and Cisco.
Everyone who works here has a real, direct impact on the company, and our list of interesting and difficult challenges will always be larger than the time we have to tackle them. Our work environment is relaxed yet results driven, encouraging creativity, collaboration, and challenging each other in order to foster continuous improvement. Our employees embody our values, displaying curiosity, self-motivation, adaptability, and a passion for what Puppet Labs is all about.