Test Engineering Positions for Aspiring Data Scientists
Develop deep skills in cloud, big data technologies and data science as a Test Engineer at Alpine Data Labs, "one of the hottest Hadoop startups", according to Business Insider, Datamation, and the Wall Street Journal. Alpine recently gained $16M in funding to build "the next big data startup" (Forbes).
Do you like playing in AWS...scripting instance start and stops, hacking on Hadoop distributions, and figuring out creative ways to break a web application? There's a spot for you on the Alpine Data Labs Test Engineering team. We're looking for an enthusiastic Test Engineer to take on our cloud / in-house infrastructure, script repetitive tasks, and test our application. As part of the team, you'll develop skills with big data (Hadoop, parallel databases, billion row datasets, scale-out applications), data science, cloud technologies, coding, and automated / manual testing. You'll be exposed to bleeding-edge machine learning algorithms, and best practices in agile development and test.
The vision of Alpine Data Labs is to make data science so straightforward that it becomes a tool for business stakeholders as well as data scientists. Alpine's data-mining software scales to huge datasets (hundreds of terabytes, or billions of rows) but it is driven through an intuitive graphical interface. This well-positioned startup delivers on the promise of Hadoop and Big Data by providing a collaborative and intuitive visual environment for teams to quickly create and deploy analytics workflows and predictive models.
We are a well-funded, rapidly-growing startup backed by major venture firms. Our customers include Barclays, Sony, Kaiser Permanente, and the US Federal Reserve.
* Provision and maintain Hadoop clusters and databases in AWS and in our local infrastructure
* Learn the Alpine Web Application as quickly as possible along with the test methods used by Test Engineers at Alpine to detect and report defects
* Build models and workflows to test that Alpine’s predictive analytic functionality performs as expected against Big Data
* Work closely with Architects, Developers, and PM to write test cases and report issues
* Contribute test cases and logic to our automation framework, Avalanche
* Create / hack python and bash scripts to perform tasks such as starting AWS instances, sync'ing files with S3, installing the application
* Work on miscellaneous projects to enable Engineering: build physical servers, troubleshoot VPN and Wireless issues, explore monitoring solutions for our infrastructure, etc.
* Strong knowledge of Linux - can you expand an LVM volume or set up password-less SSH between hosts?
* Skills in at least one scripting language: Python, Ruby, Bash
* Strong troubleshooting skills - be able to google your way out of an OS / network issue
* Good communication skills - can you clearly explain the widely-known SSH Heartbleed bug cause, symptoms, and fix ?
* BS in Computer Science / IT related field
* Experience with AWS: scripting with libraries such as Boto, configuring a VPC, using the AWS CLI
* Experience with testing technologies: Robot Framework, Selenium WebDriver, JMeter
* Experience with any of the following technologies: Docker, Jenkins, oVirt, Git, REST API
* An interest in machine learning and predictive analytics
* Software Development experience
* Tattoo of a binary search algorithm
* Stock options
* Great benefits
* Quality snacks
* Friday beer o'clock
* Regular social outings
A. We are, apparently, hot:
B. You can find lots of useful information on our web-site. In particular, check out the product info here:
C. Here's an interview we did that describes the business motivation behind what we do:
D. Here's examples of the press coverage that Alpine is getting:
E. And finally, here's some of the academic and open-source background to what Alpine does: