Head of Content
Marketing | Redwood City, CA | Full Time
Born from the belief that great things come to those who cook, Yummly provides limitless inspiration, with the tools to make it happen—from recipe discovery to prep to perfect results. Just as appliances removed the most cumbersome chores, the next tipping point in daily life is upon us in the food space. A system of personalized discovery that learns you better to serve you better, so the question “what’s for dinner?” is answered before it’s even asked.
Yummly has grown to 25M registered users and our mobile apps are consistently the #1 recipe apps on iPhone, iPad, Android, and Windows. Next on the menu? Building the connected kitchen of the future.
Join the Yummly Team as our Head of Content in crafting great experiences that inspire people around the world to cook meals faster, better and easier through smart personalized guidance. We want you to elevate our user engagement through forward thinking content that solves real cooking problems in an engaging way.
As Head of Content, you will:
- Report directly to the COO to oversee all content initiatives, both internal and external, across multiple platforms and formats, to drive sales, engagement, retention, and virality.
- Align editorial and business goals to create a clear mission, vision, and voice for Yummly content
- Develop new business opportunities that monetize, expand, and promote content.
- Keep current on industry best practice and monitor content activities of competitors.
- Conduct ongoing usability tests to gauge content effectiveness gathering data and handle analytics and make recommendations based on those results.
- Participate in the hiring and mentorship of content/story leaders in all content verticals.
- Conduct periodic competitive audits.
- Work cross-functionally to ensure content is on-brand and consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice, as well as optimized for search and user experience for all channels. Examples include:
- Leverage food experience or passion to create new original recipes and supporting content (e.g. tips and tricks)
- Create entertaining and informative video content for platform.
- Work alongside social team to create content for social media channels geared towards virality
- Collaborate with product teams to deliver SEO content and app connected recipes.
- Update all sections of the website and app including homepage and categories.
- Personally develop content and act as a mentor to other content creators
- Ensure platform content stays up to date and relevant.
- Optimize content calendar to ensure regular content on the platform driving growth and engagement goals throughout the year.
- Ensure consistent global experience and appropriate localization/ translation strategies.
- A willingness to embrace change in a fast paced environment while taking on both execution and leadership responsibilities
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Public Relations or related communications field. MBA in marketing a plus.
- 10-15 years of experience as a leader in multichannel content creation (publishing, journalism, etc.). Previous experience working as a content leader and in video production a plus.
- Highly articulate with an excellent command of written English.
- Creative minded with an ability to conceive interesting ideas for new content putting the user first.
- Experience with creating compelling messages for different target demographics.
- Most importantly passion for food and cooking!!!
And a little more about us:
At Yummly, we are a team of talented and diverse technical professionals on a mission to rule the kitchen. We've seen great success using machine learning and artificial intelligence to make cooking fun, easy, and personalized. Our iOS and Android apps have 4.5+ star reviews, millions of downloads, and many awards (download and give it a try!).
We were recently acquired by Whirlpool, the world’s largest home appliance maker. Together, we have appetizing aspirations to build the fully-connected kitchen of the future.
We're located in a beautiful, modern office in downtown Redwood City, a few minutes’ walk from Caltrain. Please talk to us if you have a love for the written word, sweet and savory images, hard problems, and food!
Yummly is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.