Back-End Software Engineer
Engineering | Redwood City, CA | Full Time
Born from the belief that great things come to those who cook, Yummly provides limitless inspiration, with the tools to make it happen—from recipe discovery to prep to perfect results. Just as appliances removed the most cumbersome chores, the next tipping point in daily life is upon us in the food space. A system of personalized discovery that learns you better to serve you better, so the question “what’s for dinner?” is answered before it’s even asked.
Yummly has grown to over 25M registered users and our mobile apps are consistently the #1 recipe apps on iPhone, iPad, Android, and Windows. Next on the menu? Building the connected kitchen of the future.
Yummly has an opportunity for a Software Engineer passionate about functional programming to join our food-obsessed team.
Would you like to work on high-performance services, ground breaking machine learning systems, search engines, and recommendation systems? Are you passionate about infrastructure: containers, clusters, continuous deployment, AWS?
- Work with our small but powerful team of researchers and functional developers, designing and building the most advanced ML-powered software in the kitchen.
- Build new features and components, as well as help advance our existing codebase.
- Work on projects that are likely to span our stack: from data processing pipelines, to services, to infrastructure automation, to web front-end.
- Help us open-source some of the amazing tools we have been building over the past few years.
- 5+ years of significant, demonstrated experience designing, building and shipping production software, preferably in a startup or small-team setting
- An ability to work in a functional programming language: our codebase is largely Clojure and Scala
- A good working understanding of the modern data processing toolset: SQL and NoSQL databases, batch and streaming data processing tools, what they are good for and how they fit together
- A desire to learn
- DevOps experience with AWS and with container-based architecture
- Familiarity with Apache Solr
- Interest and experience with ML, NLP, search, or recommendation systems
- Enthusiasm for working on IoT
And a little more about us:
At Yummly, we are a team of talented and diverse technical specialists on a mission to rule the kitchen. We've seen great success using machine learning and artificial intelligence to make cooking fun, easy, and personalized. Our iOS and Android apps have 4.5+ star reviews, millions of downloads, and many awards (download and give it a try!).
In 2017 we were acquired by Whirlpool, the world’s largest home appliance maker. Together, we have appetizing aspirations to build the fully-connected kitchen of the future.
We're located in a beautiful, modern office in downtown Redwood City, a few minutes’ walk from Caltrain. Please talk to us if you have a love for data, functional programming, hard problems, and food!
Yummly is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.